Caribou Gear

Africa, best bang for your buck if "horns" are your goal ?

For crying out loud guys, you dont need to fly half way around the world for trophy horns

Two weeks in beautiful, female friendly Yukon Territory, Canada offers two week hunts for the beautiful Stone Sheep for only 45000/50000 U.S. dollars. Unlike Asia and Africa, you are allowed to hunt multiple species for this one low price. ( Black Bear, Wolf and Wolverine are included ). For those hunters with deeper pockets, they can also hunt the Grizzly and Caribou on the same trip for only an additional 8500 each !

Not to be out done by Africa, we also offer a 30 day combination hunt of Stone sheep, Grizzly, Caribou, Moose, Black bear, Wolf, and Wolverine for the low price of 85000---U.S.

AND--your travel costs will be less.

Asia, Africa------PPPPFFFFTTTT ;)

I'd agree that if you want a hunt to "wack and stack" horns, South Africa is the least expensive place to go. The main limiting factor of what and how many you can shoot is your checkbook. South Africa can also spoil you as in many cases all that the hunter has to do is pull the trigger. Everything else is done for you. I've done a half dozen African hunts and only my two Mozambique hunts did I come home with only animal each year. Also, Africa has so many different animals that you can hunt 6-10 different animals on each trip and not repeat hunting the same species on each trip.

I would rate New Zealand second to Africa for hunting multiple species of animals, although in one long hunt or in two hunts you could bag one each of all the animals that they have on their islands. My New Zealand hunt was one of my best.

Panda Bear mentioned all of the animals that are available on hunts in the Yukon or Northwest Territories. That is true and I've had some great hunts there, but one of my Canadian hunts was my only international hunt that I came home with only tag soup. And the one of everything Stone sheep hunt that she mentioned is about the same price that I paid for my 2000 sf house on 10 acres near Bozeman 40 some years ago.

But then I'm spoiled and lucky to have lived in a place where 30-40 years ago I could load my horses, drive 100 miles for a long weekend hunt and come home with a 50" bull Moose, a 9 1/2"+ Mountain Goat, or a full curl Bighorn ram.

With all due respect, I disagree. Yes, Africa will provide more horns for the same amount of money, will provide more "mental" safety, would be an easier hunt physically, as well a provide better accommodations . But she can do Africa when she is in her 40,s, 50, 60,s 70,s even 80,s as you know April, from personal experience :)

But the hunt for the Marco Polo will never be forgotten and not just because of the beautiful trophy horns.

Is she likes to "hunt" and a "challenge", the hunt for the Marco Polo will provide that and then some. Plus the mountains there provide a different kind of beauty but beautiful none the less. The ride up on the horses, then the climb, as well as the altitude, will kick your butt. Plus the accomendatiosn at the top, even at base camp, are rustic at best, but if one is looking for good accommodations, reserve an over the water bungalow in Fiji. ;)

April, I am told that you know Krisiti, call her. She was there only three for four years ago with 4 or 5 young females with her.

I would recommend Tajikistan for better trophy horns and you might get lucky and see a Markhor, even luckier and see a snow leopard.

I understand your point Randi and you are not wrong. I will try to contact Kristi, thank you for the heads up and yes I would also choose Tajikistan, thank you for the reply

My grandpa hunted Africa, he enjoyed it. But the real adventure was in his sheep hunts. Tajikistan for Marco Polo was one of his favorite hunts he went on. It was an adventure just getting to the mountain. He was within a few miles of the Afghanistan border when the US invaded back in 2001. He was supposed to go with a friend, but his friend backed out when the turmoil really got bad in the middle east. My grandpa stuck with it and went and did the hunt by himself instead of with a friend. He ended up killing an absolutely beautiful Marco Polo and had a hell of a story to go along with it.

Africa is different. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go someday, but it's a lot more mainstream. While is still a good adventure, the road less traveled has always been a bigger adventure for myself.
Thank you as well sir for your reply and congratulations to your grandfather. Hope you make it to Africa---and Asia
Randi,
Horses!? Just joking. Long ago, the last time I was inTajikistan no one was using horses, because I asked why no horses. response was not enough feed and the altitude was hard on them at those elevations. As I recall lower down early in the journey we used yaks a bit. Our high camp was, I think, 15,000 feet. A couple of show off young men were performing their prowess and physical conditions by loping around camp and up the sides of the mountain to glass. Both came down with altitude sickness and had to be taken off the mountain without shooting rams. Now days there are drugs like Diamox, portable hyperbaric bags, specialized vehicles, and permanent camps in some areas to aid these conditions. Do not get me wrong i love hunting the worlds great sheep. All great adventures. If she is excited about doing it go for it. If brand new to hunting might suggest an easier, just as romantic adventure like Tanzania. Your point suggesting hunting sheep while young is a good one. Most of us could not afford it when in our best of prime. I always took green tea and lots of honey it seemed to help me at altitude. Kindest Regards
I have tried really hard to forget about riding the Yaks (-:
For crying out loud guys, you dont need to fly half way around the world for trophy horns

Two weeks in beautiful, female friendly Yukon Territory, Canada offers two week hunts for the beautiful Stone Sheep for only 45000/50000 U.S. dollars. Unlike Asia and Africa, you are allowed to hunt multiple species for this one low price. ( Black Bear, Wolf and Wolverine are included ). For those hunters with deeper pockets, they can also hunt the Grizzly and Caribou on the same trip for only an additional 8500 each !

Not to be out done by Africa, we also offer a 30 day combination hunt of Stone sheep, Grizzly, Caribou, Moose, Black bear, Wolf, and Wolverine for the low price of 85000---U.S.

AND--your travel costs will be less.

Asia, Africa------PPPPFFFFTTTT ;)
I know you were joking--somewhat---but, to be honest that 30 day hunt would be one hell of a hunt Stone, Grizzly, Caribou, Moose--works for me :love: I always love how you folks up north always say----and you can hunt a wolverine for free----you live there and probably have never seen one;)
I'd agree that if you want a hunt to "wack and stack" horns, South Africa is the least expensive place to go. The main limiting factor of what and how many you can shoot is your checkbook. South Africa can also spoil you as in many cases all that the hunter has to do is pull the trigger. Everything else is done for you. I've done a half dozen African hunts and only my two Mozambique hunts did I come home with only animal each year. Also, Africa has so many different animals that you can hunt 6-10 different animals on each trip and not repeat hunting the same species on each trip.

I would rate New Zealand second to Africa for hunting multiple species of animals, although in one long hunt or in two hunts you could bag one each of all the animals that they have on their islands. My New Zealand hunt was one of my best.

Panda Bear mentioned all of the animals that are available on hunts in the Yukon or Northwest Territories. That is true and I've had some great hunts there, but one of my Canadian hunts was my only international hunt that I came home with only tag soup. And the one of everything Stone sheep hunt that she mentioned is about the same price that I paid for my 2000 sf house on 10 acres near Bozeman 40 some years ago.

But then I'm spoiled and lucky to have lived in a place where 30-40 years ago I could load my horses, drive 100 miles for a long weekend hunt and come home with a 50" bull Moose, a 9 1/2"+ Mountain Goat, or a full curl Bighorn ram.
you make several good points, thank you for your response sir.

Without a doubt, Africa and the animals--diferent animals--one can harvest is basically only limited by ones checkbook. But what magnificent animals and as I mentioned in an earlier post--the country, animals ( you hunt AND dont hunt ) the people, the sounds and some hunts are very difficult, even dangerous---I love it all ! BUT --your point is not only understood, I agree. A marco polo sheep hunt is not a hunt one will soon forget ( as I also mentioned in an earlier post )

And as I also mentioned in a previous response about New Zealand, you are correct. We loved New Zealand. Beautiful country, people and good hunting. However, to be honest, after she goes to Africa and Asia, I would probably encourage her to visit Argentina next. Both New Zealand and Argentina have Red Stag and New Zealand also has Tahr and Chamois, which are good hunts ( plus at least 6 different deer breeds, maybe more ). But IMHO Argentina offers a larger variety of game animals. Their Patagonia Dall has horns similar to the N.A. Dall, their Juan Fernaoedez goat is interesting, Mouflon, Antelope AND Dove hunting deluxe.

But the hunt in Argentina is Red Stag and Doves. In New Zealand Red Stag, Chamois, and Tahr. Argentina -New Zealand ---New Zealand-Argentina. Either way a good adventure, but in my humble opinion not on par with Africa or Asia. Just one old womans opinion however ;)

The last sentence of your post is dear and near to my heart and I thank you for it as it does remind me of the times when hunting out of the backdoor was a bit easier ---thank you !

Last edited:
I have a Wolverine story.
I was finishing a caribou hunt in the Northwest Territories and a few of us were sitting in camp at the lakes edge engaged in idle chatter enjoying the afternoon when one of us spotted movement on the far shore of the wide lake. I focused my spotting scope and spied two wolverine scampering around on a moraine. One of the hunters became excited he had lived in Canada, never seeing a Wolverine until that moment. He dragged his Inuit guide into a boat and off they went across the water. They beached down wind and began their stalk. We watched with enjoyment as the hunters crept along the moraine, occasionally peeking over the top. Alas, they could not spot the animals. Suddenly I noticed s flash back at their boat. My scope revealed the two Wolverine tearing up life vests in the boat. From our vantage point we humorously watched the show, the men stalking slowly several hundred yards from their boat where the animals were having a grand time old time.
When the unsuccessful hunters returned to their craft, even at that distance, the looks on their faces were priceless. The ribbing from audience was fabulous. Oh, the wolverines escaped unscathed.

Last edited:
I have a Wolverine story.
I was finishing a caribou hunt in the Northwest Territories and a few of us were sitting in camp at the lakes edge engaged in idle chatter enjoying the afternoon when one of us spotted movement on the far shore of the wide lake. I focused my spotting scope and spied two wolverine scampering around on a moraine. One of the hunters became excited he had lived in Canada, never seeing a Wolverine until now. He dragged his Inuit guide into a boat and off they went across the water. They beached down wind and began their stalk. We watched with enjoyment as the hunters crept along the moraine, occasionally peeking over the top. Alas, they could not spot the animals. Suddenly I noticed s flash back at their boat. My scope revealed the two Wolverine tearing up life vests in the boat. From our vantage point we humorously watched the show, the men stalking slowly several hundred yards from their boat where the animals were having a grand time old time.
When the unsuccessful hunters returned to their craft, even at that distance, the looks on their faces were priceless. The ribbing from audience was fabulous. Oh, the wolverines escaped unscathed.
priceless

I understand your point Randi and you are not wrong. I will try to contact Kristi, thank you for the heads up and yes I would also choose Tajikistan, thank you for the reply

Thank you as well sir for your reply and congratulations to your grandfather. Hope you make it to Africa---and Asia

I have tried really hard to forget about riding the Yaks (-:

I know you were joking--somewhat---but, to be honest that 30 day hunt would be one hell of a hunt Stone, Grizzly, Caribou, Moose--works for me :love: I always love how you folks up north always say----and you can hunt a wolverine for free----you live there and probably have never seen one;)

you make several good points, thank you for your response sir.

Without a doubt, Africa and the animals--diferent animals--one can harvest is basically only limited by ones checkbook. But what magnificent animals and as I mentioned in an earlier post--the country, animals ( you hunt AND dont hunt ) the people, the sounds and some hunts are very difficult, even dangerous---I love it all ! BUT --your point is not only understood, I agree. A marco polo sheep hunt is not a hunt one will soon forget ( as I also mentioned in an earlier post )

And as I also mentioned in a previous response about New Zealand, you are correct. We loved New Zealand. Beautiful country, people and good hunting. However, to be honest, after she goes to Africa and Asia, I would probably encourage her to visit Argentina next. Both New Zealand and Argentina have Red Stag and New Zealand also has Tahr and Chamois, which are good hunts ( plus at least 6 different deer breeds, maybe more ). But IMHO Argentina offers a larger variety of game animals. Their Patagonia Dall has horns similar to the N.A. Dall, their Juan Fernaoedez goat is interesting, Mouflon, Antelope AND Dove hunting deluxe.

But the hunt in Argentina is Red Stag and Doves. In New Zealand Red Stag, Chamois, and Tahr. Argentina -New Zealand ---New Zealand-Argentina. Either way a good adventure, but in my humble opinion not on par with Africa or Asia. Just one old womans opinion however ;)

The last sentence of your post is dear and near to my heart and I thank you for it as it does remind me of the times when hunting out of the backdoor was a bit easier ---thank you !
Yes, a 30 day hunt for Stone, Grizzly, Caribou, and Moose would be my pinnacle of a dream hunt. When I hunted Dall sheep in the Northwest Territories I was able to also buy a Wolf and Wolverine for $50 each. Our stalk on the only Wolf that I saw didn't work out, but we did run into a Wolverine as we were packing my ram out and he is now one of my favorite mounts. He was actually the second Wolverine that I've seen as I saw my first while on a DIY Unlimited Sheep hunt in SW Montana. The season wasn't open then.

Since I have not hunted in Argentina I completely forgot to mention their hunts in my original reply. I fully agree that they have some fantastic hunts there for a good variety of critters. And I also agree that Argentina hunts would not be on par with hunts in Africa.

There is a huge world of hunting opportunities out there and we have so little time, and money....

I always love how you folks up north always say----and you can hunt a wolverine for free----you live there and probably have never seen one;)
Hey, people spend $1000s to hunt UL sheep in MT and have a less chance of filling a tag. :D

I've seen probably 30-35 wolverines in the last 13 years of tramping in AK and have even seen a couple in MT. They are hard to get good pictures of though. Wolverine4Pack.jpg

hey is that like four of them???
Yes, and I'm pretty sure they killed that ewe they are eating on, it was pretty fresh. It was in the middle of a flat talus field, so it didn't fall. I guess it could have been sick, but not a spot where one would go lie down and die.

Not to derail, but I'd still vote for Africa. The wolverine picture above was day 4 of a 14 day sheep hunt, and I hadn't had dry cloths in 4 days. I had to stop and dump water out of my boots occasionally as well. It was some serious type 2 fun. The only water I dumped in Africa was into my whisky.

!Not to be out done by Africa, we also offer a 30 day combination hunt of Stone sheep, Grizzly, Caribou, Moose, Black bear, Wolf, and Wolverine
Yes, a 30 day hunt for Stone, Grizzly, Caribou, and Moose would be my pinnacle of a dream hunt.
I’ve got it! Send her to all three! Africa, Pamirs, and Alaska/Canada. I have loved them with great adventures in all.

I will add this now as later today we will all be enjoying and celebrating Randy filling his goat tag !

I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to the thread, it was appreciated. Thank you

I also waned to bring you up to date on what she decided. Thanks to the above three posters, she has now decided Asia is out and she really likes the Yukon Territory, Canada hunt mentioned above, but she also still likes the idea of going to Africa. She ask me which was a more exciting hunt. Cape Buffalo or Grizzly and of course I explained to her that either can be "no adrenaline at all" to " oh sh** "

Appreciated all the replies gentlemen---and Wolverine stories!!!! --thank you

Have hunted South Africa with Hunters Game Safaris and New Zealand with Gary Herbert. Hunted S. Africa three different times with HGS and each trip surpassed the previous trip. Love horns, adventure, culture and the lodges were great. Took my wife each time and grandson one third trip. Fantastic. Grandson got to go on a darting expedition while there. An opportunity of a lifetime.
We hunted NZ in 2016 with GH. Had another trip planned for 2019, deposit paid, albeit NZ is closed. No idea when I might reopen. Going to the SCI convention in Vegas this coming January to discuss an ibex hunt in Spain. Have been quoted a price for Gredos and Beceite ibex. Pricey, but what the heck. I have it on good information that there are no ATM machines in hell.
Europe, who did you hunt with in Spain? MTG

Have hunted South Africa with Hunters Game Safaris and New Zealand with Gary Herbert. Hunted S. Africa three different times with HGS and each trip surpassed the previous trip. Love horns, adventure, culture and the lodges were great. Took my wife each time and grandson one third trip. Fantastic. Grandson got to go on a darting expedition while there. An opportunity of a lifetime.
We hunted NZ in 2016 with GH. Had another trip planned for 2019, deposit paid, albeit NZ is closed. No idea when I might reopen. Going to the SCI convention in Vegas this coming January to discuss an ibex hunt in Spain. Have been quoted a price for Gredos and Beceite ibex. Pricey, but what the heck. I have it on good information that there are no ATM machines in hell.
Europe, who did you hunt with in Spain? MTG
Congratulations on your Africa and new Zealand hunts. I hope you make it back to NZ--but if not--Spain is not chopped liver ;) If you hunted the Red Stag and Fallow in NZ, you will be able to concentrate hunting the Ibex in Spain. If you only have the time for two, the two you have chosen are the best of the four-IMHO. We found the fall hunts a bit easier than the spring hunts. Start mid Oct with the Gredos, then the Beceite and then the Sierra. By the time you have hunted those three it will be November, which is when the season opens for the Rondo.

I have sent you the Name you requested via PM, sir

You mentioned your grandson was able to experience a darting or green hunt. The one I attended, we were allowed to dart the animal ( Rhino ) with a vitamin dart. Then a helicopter flew over him and a local vet darted him with a tranquilizer . It was interesting and I can only imagine the excitement your grandson exhibited.

These types of hunts are illegal in Namibia, but other countries advertise and sell them. At one time the push was to sell Green Hunts ( and Photo Hunts ) in an attempt to eliminate trophy hunting. But the Green hunts also became controversial, when the same Rhino was tranquilized over and over and
over again, but they are still selling them, but IMHO they will never eliminate Trophy Hunting. At least I hope not.

There is a place for "darting". I know Panda Bear darts the Polar Bear form Helicopters, for research purposes and to install collars , etc, but that is for an entirely different reason.

Has anyone else here gone on a Green Hunt and if so, what animal ? Happy Myles --? Buffybr--? anyone ?

Has anyone else here gone on a Green Hunt and if so, what animal ? Happy Myles --? Buffybr--? anyone ?
Only for work, and nowhere exotic. Bison, elk, pronghorn, bighorn, moose were the usual fare in our office. Hunting Husband did way more than me. I also got in on a black bear immobilization once and a mountain lion once. Paint darting bison was fun…low pressure and low risk, unless they got mad 😁

I can’t imagine how we would get around the liability of having volunteers around some of the drugs we used though.

Only for work, and nowhere exotic. Bison, elk, pronghorn, bighorn, moose were the usual fare in our office. Hunting Husband did way more than me. I also got in on a black bear immobilization once and a mountain lion once. Paint darting bison was fun…low pressure and low risk, unless they got mad 😁

I can’t imagine how we would get around the liability of having volunteers around some of the drugs we used though.
Same here. Husband more than I, and nothing exotic.

We do dart the Polar for research and for our protection when they are in town, but most "darting" is from a helicopter.

To each there own and if some here prefer Green to Trophy, so be it. But I just dont get it. You actually pay to dart an animal with a dose of vitamins and then a veterinarian darts them, so you can touch them ? Admittedly, I am an Indian and a woman, so I have two strikes against me, but I dont view this as "hunting", as in a "Green Hunt" However, as has been mentioned, this method of hunting ( Green ) has been floated up here by the "anti's".

Several here will be able to respond with far more knowledge than I, but if I understand correctly, in Africa the meat goes to villagers and the cost to Trophy hunt helps each country and both the animals and people in those countries.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back