Caribou Gear

Aerial (Low Altitude) Public Land Access

rmyoung1

So, what's everyone's take on the following? First, some quick background: There's a State Trust section in MT that I want to hunt this November when I'm home for Thanksgiving. The section is surrounded by a good-sized ranch on all four sides, BUT... there's a county road that runs through the ranch to access the USFS country behind the ranch. The road is 100% open to the public year-round. The aforementioned State Trust section runs within like 6 or 7 feet of the road, according to OnX and the GIS map on the state of Montana website.

My question: Can I get a running start and simply jump from the edge of the road onto the state ground? I'm not Bob Beamon or Mike Powell, but I can handle a 7-foot long jump, even with a pack on. If a guy can fly legally, why couldn't he jump?

So, what's everyone's take on the following? First, some quick background: There's a State Trust section in MT that I want to hunt this November when I'm home for Thanksgiving. The section is surrounded by a good-sized ranch on all four sides, BUT... there's a county road that runs through the ranch to access the USFS country behind the ranch. The road is 100% open to the public year-round. The aforementioned State Trust section runs within like 6 or 7 feet of the road, according to OnX and the GIS map on the state of Montana website.

My question: Can I get a running start and simply jump from the edge of the road onto the state ground? I'm not Bob Beamon or Mike Powell, but I can handle a 7-foot long jump, even with a pack on. If a guy can fly legally, why couldn't he jump?

I bet if you gave @Nameless Range a six pack he could help you pull the relevant deed and plot it out to check the accuracy. I haven’t worked in MT.

After coming in 10 years working with deeds for OG companies I can tell you, that the county GIS layers of this country are total crap. Whenever we are drilling in states with tight pooling laws, ie you have to stay within the lease boundary we send out surveyors, and give ourselves a healthy 150ft buffer.

That said it not be worth the effort, as 1. It might be fine to just walk across onto the state or 2. It might not be fine and the warden might get called and then your going to have to argue the accuracy of the survey with a judge.

On multiple occasions I had to talk to angry landowners who’s royalty check was smaller than they thought it would be because there 500 acres was actually 400.

rmyoungong1,I was going to tell you to check out the "Public Land Issues"section.
But that would be Cruel and Unusual Punishment...Freddy Faulk and WyLionHunter
seem to know it all.Fasten your seatbelt,Don't say I didn't warn you.Ha!,Ha! :cool:

Nope, it’s a violation of the “air space” above the 7 foot strip. “Worse” than corner crossing 😊. You use a plane because states limit this vertical property right above a certain elevation (typically 200 to 500 ft).

Hey rmyoung, I’ll shoot you a PM.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a large repository of scanned deeds anymore than any other member of the public, but I have some ideas and avenues to pursue.

Hey rmyoung, I’ll shoot you a PM.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a large repository of scanned deeds anymore than any other member of the public, but I have some ideas and avenues to pursue.
Thank you!!!!!

Please post on here when you find out more about the easement or how to find that info...I have had a few questions about it myself. As far as the long jump goes, I would just look at corner crossing as an example. Probably can't do it but really should be able to.

The public access rule for state land in MT specifically states that the public road must pass through or abut (touch, border, be adjacent to) the state land. If it does not, then you can't walk, jump, parachute, or anyway access it legally from the road.
Essentially the tract is not open to public access.

Although for years hunters have walked across just such a sliver of private land to public land in the Gallatin area, I went to the trouble of appealing to the landowner and got permission to cross there, as well as a more desirable route. Unfortunately, many out of the way places like that don't see much enforcement, so the number of hunters continued to increase, causing me to go elsewhere.

I've thought about using a hang glider....... just another tool for the ultra lite backpack hunter. #winning
I was hunting Javelina in Central Az. near an airstrip, an Ultralight
passed over my head and 30 seconds later a herd of pigs came running through.
Didn't shoot a pig but managed to ruin a few arrows. :cool:

Nope, it’s a violation of the “air space” above the 7 foot strip. “Worse” than corner crossing 😊. You use a plane because states limit this vertical property right above a certain elevation (typically 200 to 500 ft).
I would be curious to read the Montana statute pertaining to air space. Since you have read it, would you post that or the title and section for it?

I was hunting Javelina in Central Az. near an airstrip, an Ultralight
passed over my head and 30 seconds later a herd of pigs came running through.
Didn't shoot a pig but managed to ruin a few arrows. :cool:

Those little ultralight aircraft as super cool. I'd love to ride in one some day.

The thing that was really quite annoying in my case in Idaho is that not ONE agency could explain the law to me, and I asked everyone from the local level up to the state level. Still waiting for answers 2 years later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back