Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Advise for the newb

Popcan

I'm going on my first mule deer hunt and I am trying to choose the right ammo. I'm shooting a 308. Anyone have an ammo of preference? Is there a bullet weight I should be looking at? Thanks in advance.

150s or 165s, whichever your rifle likes best. If my rifle liked them, I would shoot 165 grain Partitions or Accubonds.

I like hornady and noslers. Hornady SST would be good or a nosler accubond. Just try different grains of bullet and powder see how they shoot

Reload, or factory ? Weight wise, you could go anywhere form a 125 to a 165, depending on the chosen bullets construction.

If your rifle will shoot them:

My trek last year had a 7/08 as my primary, but my back-up was a 308 with 125 gr BT's, and I would have not blinked a second blunk to pop the cap on a mulie.

All in all, a 150 is about all you need.

Aim straight and post a bunch of pics! Good hunting.

Ok guys thanks. I'm not reloading yet, but I might in the future. I wasn't sure if 150 was enough so I feel better now. I think I'll try some 160ish and see how they shoot. Thanks again much appreciated.

Try 165 gr Hornady in either the interbond or SST, my 30-06 likes them both, and performance should be similar in a .308

Deer are easy to kill. Any 150 grain bullets will kill deer great. If you were discussing elk, then it would be a bit different, but deer are not hard to kill. I will NEVER load another SST for the rest of my life, as long as there are real bullets to use, but that is just me, based on personal experience. Unless you have settled on ammo already, try the Hornady White-tail ammo.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back