Advice on Elk Tongue preparation?

samuel_284Win

All,
Wondering how you all have prepared venison tongue for consumption in the past or what your favorite method has been? About the only thing I have seen is a 5-day brine followed by cooking in hot water for a couple of hours to get the outside skin layer off.

I've had beef tongue tacos before but have no real idea of prep except for simmering or boiling the tongue to peel the skin off.

I cook it in the instapot then peel it and dice it and make tacos.

I’ve cooked it a couple of times. It’s not my favorite piece of meat…it’s been very dense when I’ve eaten it. But it’s possible I’m doing wrong.

Lengua tacos were the best recipe I’ve tried. Boil it until you can peel off the outer skin, which is tough. Slice it thin, fry the slices quickly over high heat until the edges get crispy. Put the slices on warm corn tortillas with pickled red onions, cilantro, cheese, sriracha, sour cream, salsa, chipotle ranch…whatever you like on tacos. The crispy edges were essential, at least for me. Added flavor and texture.

I could see it being minced and put into empanadas too, but it would probably take several tongues (or one from something big) to make it worthwhile.

I think some people add it to their sausage grind.

Boil it till you can peal the outer layer off. Then you can slice it up and eat it as is or throw some bacon grease in a frying pan and fry it up. Good meat.

My grandfather had a meat shop, so tongue was always around. My favorite is to boil it as described above, get the skin off, then slice it about a 1/4” thick. Slap the slices down on toast with a slab of onion and some good hot mustard.

That’s just a quality sammich right there.

I’ve done pork, deer, elk, and beef tongues all the same way. You can let them cook in a broth in a crockpot until the skin peels, usually it’s between 3-6 hours. Slice thin. I’ve grilled them and ate them with a dusting of chili lime seasoning as well as made the into tacos. I really like tongue tacos!

Just be sure to peel it, it’s a super weird texture to eat tongue with the skin still on. There was an “authentic” taco stand I frequented near Williston, ND that served them unpeeled. I only ordered that once.

Never done it with elk, but for deer just boil and peel then I sliced thin and threw in a skillet for sandwiches. Good for tacos also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back