Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Advice need on rifle cal and ammo selection for sheep hunt

BradA

So I am going on a dall sheep hunt in 2022 and have been planning the hunt and am planning on taking my Christensen arms summit TI 28 nosler with me. I have 200 rounds of factory ammo ready for it to be broken in, sighted in and practice and get familiar with it over the course of the next 7-8 months. During a discussion with a friend about what load and rifle I’m going to shoot he thought I was stupid to be shooting nosler e-tip 150 grain copper bullets in Alaska on sheep and that they will get sent to fast out of a 28 nosler and be unstable, and suggested I use a heavier 160-180 grain lead bullet. This now has me concerned if I made a mistake with purchasing this ammo for this rifle, for this hunt. Maybe I’m just getting in my head about it because of the hunt and it being once in a lifetime for me but what do you guys suggest and what is your advice on this rifle, round and load? Should I use a lead bullet? Is a 150 grain bullet to lite of a grain bullet for a 28 nosler? My barrel is a 1-9 twist barrel. Does anyone have this same rifle, and shoot 150 grain? Does anyone shoot 150 grain out of there 28 nosler? What’s your experience?

You put that Nosler where it’s supposed to go and you’ll be a happy hunter. Good luck on your hunt. Looking forward to the pics. Edited to add: My statement is assuming that your rifle will like that ammunition.

Don't sweat the small stuff. While the moment of truth means everything, the most important thing is being confidant in your shooting ability and your rifle. The bullet is a long ways down my list of importance. If it shoots well, just practice. I've seen 18 dall rams killed, most with a 308... and 17 of those were under 400 yards. My kid will be killing one, most likely with a 6.5 Grendel in the next few years. IMO the difference between a 150 and a 160gr bullet is only evident between your ears. There isn't a person alive that could distinguish terminal effects between the two. 150 mono is more than capable in that rifle.

Good luck on your hunt. We're having an absolute shit winter. Tons of snow and a huge rain and ice storm the last few days. Winter kill could be massive across Central Alaska. Moose, sheep, bou... the wolves will have a heyday

Last edited:
That load will be just fine for Dall sheep. 150gr solid copper will penetrate like crazy. There is no such thing as too fast. My main big game rifle right now is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline 28 Nosler and I’m shooting 140gr Absolute Hammers, at 3575fps, at everything up to elk. The Hammers did great on a Barbary sheep earlier this year at about 330 yards.

A 1-9” twist will stabilize that 150gr e-tip. I’m not sure what your friend was getting at about it being unstable.

One could argue you could use a bullet that expands faster than the e-tip for Dall sheep. But if it’s accurate then I wouldn’t hesitate to use them. In the end, take what makes you most comfortable. You don’t want to be thinking about your ammo when you’re lining up a shot on a ram on a trip like that.

Last edited:
Shoot what you feel comfortable getting the job done! Oh ya, Get it Done!!

Get out and shoot it at the distances you think you'll get a shot at a sheep. If it doesn't group well find something else. My suspicion is that it'll do just fine.

I shoot the 150 E-tips in my mountain carbon with a 1-9 twist. It's lights out. Rifle shoots better than the operator. Have yet to recover a bullet. All have passed through deer and antelope out past 400yds. Break in your rifle properly and get some time at the range. You have plenty of time to switch things up if you're not seeing the accuracy and consistency you need.

Some good advise in the previous replies. To me accuracy is more important than bullet diameter, weight, or shape. Take your rifle to the range, zero it at 100 yards,then verify where it groups at 2, 3, and 400 yards. Depending on what scope you have on it, you'll need to record your holdover or scope settings at each of these yardages. Then practice, practice, practice at each of those ranges until you are comfortable at each distance.

I've shot 4 mountain sheep, a Dall and 3 bighorn rams. All were one shot kills with my .257 Ackley shooting 117 grain Sierra GameKing bullets. My longest shot was 206 yards at the Dall ram.

Have a great hunt!

Thank you everyone for the reply and reassurance that everything will be fine with my set up and that I didn’t make a mistake by buying these

You will be just fine with that setup. Sheep are not hard to kill, but grizzlies are another story....that all-copper construction cooking at that velocity will handle anything you want/need to shoot with it. As long as your rifle likes it you should be good to go.

I have only been on 1 sheep hunt, was a dall as well, and I obsessed over caliber, bullet, etc........I ended up shooting my ram at 257 yards with a 300 win mag and a 165 gr ballistic tip. Next sheep hunt is in 2023 and I will either take the same thing (except 165 gr Accubond instead of BT), a 7mm mag with 160 grain accubond, or my .270 with 140 gr accubonds depending on which one I am the most accurate/confident with at long range when the time comes.

Odds say you will kill your ram inside of 250 yards, but I recommend you practice out to 500 if you can.

You will be just fine with that setup. Sheep are not hard to kill, but grizzlies are another story....that all-copper construction cooking at that velocity will handle anything you want/need to shoot with it. As long as your rifle likes it you should be good to go.

I have only been on 1 sheep hunt, was a dall as well, and I obsessed over caliber, bullet, etc........I ended up shooting my ram at 257 yards with a 300 win mag and a 165 gr ballistic tip. Next sheep hunt is in 2023 and I will either take the same thing (except 165 gr Accubond instead of BT), a 7mm mag with 160 grain accubond, or my .270 with 140 gr accubonds depending on which one I am the most accurate/confident with at long range when the time comes.

Odds say you will kill your ram inside of 250 yards, but I recommend you practice out to 500 if you can.
Hope your right! Can’t wait to report back with how far of a shot it is.

Where are you going in 2023 and who with ?

I think you’ll be just fine. The most important thing (like you said) is to get comfortable with the gun and make sure it likes that round bc every gun is different. The good news is you have plenty of time to fine tune all that stuff and that’s 1/2 the fun.

I hope your trip is fantastic!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back