PEAX Equipment

Advice for Vacation to Jackson Hole or Bozeman

rbaca10

Looking to get a mini vacation planned mid November (Nov 10-14th ish) and cash in some frequent flyer points. Thinking Jackson Hole or Bozeman would be nice. I doubt ski season opens that early and am afraid that many establishments will be closed during this period. Thoughts or advice on what you would do and where, things to do, places to stay, etc?

Things I'd like to do if available during this time is ski, snowshoe, atv riding, and get out and explore. Are the roads to the national parks covered up in snow then or passable in a cheap rental car?

Any advice is good advice since neither myself or my wife have been. Thanks in advance.

The roads could be bad that time of year in the park but it's hard to say. I would plan on renting a 4x4 at least. Saying that I've also seen 60s at that time in JH. Plan on seeing the national elk refuge on the edge of town pretty cool. All the shops downtown are nice. Million dollar cowboy bar is neat to see. It was a nice place but not my ideal western town. I am more of a small town guy they interest me more usually.

Doubt you would need a 4X4. We did Jackson last Christmas. Roads were fine. We drove around quite a bit. Pretty much everything was open, it's still a tourist spot. Took the wife on the horse-drawn sleigh tour of the elk refuge and she loved it, even at -15 that morning. I was in full camo and picking out the nicer bulls I would like! Gotta wear warm clothes, right? Teton park was mostly cleared but some roads ended where you had to turn around and go back. They evidently don't plow ALL of the roads if there aren't many folks using them. Big Fin was there a few days after we were for his bison hunt, maybe he would know more about the outlying area away from town. Can't tell you about activities, that you can look up online.

Jackson is beautiful in winter. Elk refuge rides start after the elk hunt is over, mid November. Last winter was a strange one for snow there so be prepared for lots of it, or none. Some hotels give a hunter break in price, it makes a difference. Town is pretty with a public ice rink on the square. We enjoyed our stay during the spouse's bison hunt.

As far as YNP, I would check when they go on winter hours, as much of the park will be closed to vehicle traffic. The only entrances open will be Gardiner to Cooke City, which in the winter is a really cool drive. To get to it takes you through Paradise Valley, which has a few spring creeks if you want to fly fish. Trespass fee is around $40/day.
Bozeman has gained a reputation as B-Vegas, I'm not sure why, really. Seems fairly tame when I am there. Maybe its because I am there. The Museum of the Rockies is there and worth a look in. Until recently, it was Jack Horner's home office, a famous paleontologist and the guy in Jurassic Park was modeled after. There's other little museums, fly shops, a nice downtown to walk. There's lots of outdoor rec opportunities.
My wife and I stayed at a B&B in Bozeman for our 10th anniversary. It was really nice. Lerhkind Mansion.

I would caution you that roads can get hazardous, sometimes shut down around that time. I would absolutetley get something with 4wd. If you wanted, you could drive the hour and change to Billings and see some more cultural stuff.

I've lived in or near both. Fun things to do and places to see in both. I would avoid Jackson in the summer due to crowds, but Nov. is about the slowest month of the year, which is a good thing.

YNP roads close in early November but Grand Teton should be open as others have said. Lots to do in both places and the critters should be good in GTNP. Jackson in the off season is about the only time I'd go there unless work related.

Skiing won't be going except for high elevation back country stuff or cross country if there's enough snow by then.

I'd pick Jackson over Bozeman during that time frame, personally. Lots to do in town, and fun stuff in GTNP, as well as the refuge. It's spendier, but your wife will love the shopping.

The ski areas definitely won't be open, if you are looking to make some turns you need to go to Colorado they have 3-4 areas open by that time typically, both are great places to visit in the fall but Jackson is definitely going to give you the ritzy ski town experience. Both are great and will give you excellent opportunities to view wildlife and shop. If you aren't worried about spending a bit more money I would personally go with Jackson for a vacation.

As far as a rental car your average sedan is totally fine, I lived in a ski town in Colorado until I was 18, did 4 years in Vermont, and then 5 years in Montana. I've had a corollas my entire life and never been in the ditch and never gotten stuck, 4wd helps you get out of the ditch it doesn't keep from sliding into it. My best friend from home drives a tow truck in Vail and he says 95% of the cars he pulls out of the snow are idiots in SUVs driving too fast because "they have 4wd".

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flight343
Back