Adventures with Moosie and Gunner....

Moosie

Grand poopa
Well... Kind of a normal day. Watched some Poachers (And bad ones to boot
tongue.gif
), loaded some hay, froze to death, Killed a Goose, some ducks, Awsome Shooting (Mostly on my part).... You know, Stuff like that.

Ohhh I forgot that our Adventures usually start with the day before.. Yesterday it was Parkers 1st Birthday, Butthats another story for another day... A bit busy right now.

We'll see if Gunner has anything to say about it. Roumor has it he has a AAA meeting to go to and might not be on till late or even tomorrow. It's like a AA meeting but there is Attitude with it
wink.gif

Way to go on the hunting fellas. Looking forward to getting the story, or should I say stories.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

I went out yesterday and got five mallards (4.1). Between three of us we got 11. There was one bird in question, but I decided I was the one that got it.
biggrin.gif
Don't tell. Gotta pad the numbers you know.

Afterwards, I headed up the mountain and caught a limit of trout through the ice. I just chowed them down and they were tasty.

Alright, how about a story from one of you guys? Make sure you don't tell the whole thing the first time, so as we can have another 40 post thread about 1 hunt.
wink.gif

MT,

I would love hunting with you!!! Sometimes I will go a whole year without ever claiming a goose or a duck. After I get done shooting, I always tell the other person "Great Shot"...
cool.gif
That way I don't feel so bad when they have to clean the ducks and figure out how to eat them.

Like today, I call this Goose in, it circles a couple of times, goes back behind us, and I just keep answering. It calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, it calls, I answer, until finally it drops straight down into the decoys, all flared up. I shoot, it folds, I hear Moosie shoot, so I make up some BS story about getting the forend of my gun caught in the lanyards from my calls, and not being able to shoot.

So the result is, Moosie has to clean a goose, and make the jerkey for me, instead of me having to do it for him. (Boy, can that boy put away the Jerkey. Today, he ate 4 ducks and 1/2 a goose...
shhh.gif
)

I've been waiting all day to find out what I missed on. Believe it or not Gunner, my daughter's friend got a little home-sick and decided she wanted to go home. So shortly after you called, the wife ran her home. My daughter coulda gone to the girl's house in the a.m. so I coulda actually gone. Oh well; coulda, shoulda, woulda...back to timing myself on verbal analogies
wink.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-11-2004 20:46: Message edited by: Ovis ]</font>

Ovis,

What did you miss??? Well, you know Moosie,.....
so you missed Moosie WITH a hat,
FogTwo.sized.jpg

And Moosie WITHOUT a hat...
FogNoHat.sized.jpg
Same two ducks, just Moosie with and withou the headcovering....

(
shhh.gif
Sometimes I feel like Tenzig to Moosie's Hillary... I retrieve the birds for him, take the pictures, and have to buy him lunch.
shhh.gif
) Give yourself credit if you catch the reference to Tenzig.....
cool.gif

I take it Tenzig did all the leg work to get Hillary to the top of Mt. Everist and Hillary got much of the credit? I dunno the story behind it, in fact I had to google Tenzig...zero credit for me
confused.gif

There was always a bit of discussion on who got to the top first, Hillary or Tenzig (if you don't count Mallory, as he died on the way down.) But, as the British were behind the expedition, the New Zealander was promoted as the first, and Tenzig as the loyal helper. And after Tenzig's death, Hilllary gave less credit.
confused.gif

And here is a new fashion for Duck Hunters for you.... Check out Moosie's Wader in a Wader idea in the above pictures.
rolleyes.gif
And they must have worked great, as he never got wet, the whole time he sat on the DRY land....
yawn.gif

Very trendy look Moosie!

I think I have decided I need someone educated like you to take my test. Any possibility I can get you to whack the facial hair, shorten up the hair length on the sides, and spare 4 1/2 hours next month on a test?
tongue.gif

I take it the book is worth the read?

BTW, I guess I should clarify, I was referring to Gunner when I said I needed someone educated to take my test...no offense Moosie
cool.gif

Now if I ever decide to take dance lessons, I think I would be needing your help Moosie
biggrin.gif

Gunner I went to a dinner where Hillary spoke, you know he runs many charity,s for the people of Nepal ? he admitted and has many times in N.Z magazines and other literature that without Tenzing Everest would not have been climbed on Hunts expedition, in fact they were the only two fit and well enough to attempt the summit.
wink.gif

And if you are wondering what Moosie looks like with a floppy hat....

LowGoose.sized.jpg
There is a goose in picture, under the Drakes...

By the time we got around to taking this picture, the morning's fog had lifted. We got to the spot on the river at 7:30am and left the river at 5:30pm... Only a short run to town for lunch iterruped our day at Duckin'.....

Kiwi,
But did Hillary say who got to the top First?
wink.gif
And you are right, Hillary has done lots of great work in Nepal, and built plenty of hospitals.
grouphug.gif

You mean I have to buck hay as a payment for hunting ducks??? Guess it's about like feeding myself all the salad I've been eating!
wink.gif

So.... No Story on the Poachers Gunner ?!?!?!
biggrin.gif

I will Clarify the Goose Story for ya though.... It kind of went like I Called, the goose called, Gunner squacked and Scared it... I shook my head as the goose turned and Flaired, then I called it back in... I stopped calling once and It went Way upstream. Gunner couldn't see it as his Angle and was Bummed it left... After a few LOUD honks by me.. that sucker turned and Came right in.

What was true is the goose circled behind us, Dropped straight out of the Air from 80 Yards up and I was gonig to let it land. (I'm sure Gunner will bring up the Story of me shooting all the ducks in the water, So I was gonig to the goose as well.
biggrin.gif
)

Gunner jumped (Before the goose hit the water, Heck, It still had a good 10 yards to go) up and was like a Money F'n a Football so I figured I'd let him dance or whatever he was doing and I shot the goose. It came down Hard, Heck, Ovis could have even kilt it as close as it was, And Gunner still didn't get a shot off.... (Amatures) I only had in 3" #2's and it splashed like a truck had falled from the sky with one shot !!!

Now, about my waders.. I put on Chest waders this time but my boots were to small. Instead of getting new boots at Walmart at 5AM in the morning, I slipped my Hip boots folded down over then to use as boots.

Gunner, Being the Wuss bag that he is, was ALWAYS cold. Even with the Orange/camo wool socks he wears (I don't have a Picture but believe me, they are Funny.. Errr Cool looking !! *HEHE* So, anytime I knocked a bird down, He started sprinting after it. Something about keeping the Blood circulating in his frozen toes and all. I figured for a 29 year old he should have better blood circulation then that.

What gunner didn't tell ya is he's got money, loads of it. He actually has upgraded to a Double wide and left the single wide on blocks. So, with all this money he just spent maybe he can't afford a patch for his waders... Sure... They are fancy and all, but having a hole next to the Knee it wasn't any better then me last time getting wet.

NOTE TO SELF, go to store and buy some boot patch for gunner, he might stay warmer.

Anyways, thats about how the day went. I let Gunner take the first shot in the morning and he unloaded on a passing duck and it circled back to laugh. So I knocked down the other ducks. Well... I kind of Knocked them down. the first one was in the water... (Quiet MtMiller
tongue.gif
)

ANyways, We had Koots splashing and Running up the river at us. Some came within' 10 yards of me mixed in the decoys. We were waiting for the rest to come upsteam and passed on these but they finnally swam out and left. We couldse them off and on most oof the day but I think Gunners constand "I'M COLD" whinning kept them from swimming back in our direction....

Well folks... thats the Story, And if you don't believe who Killed all the Chit, Just look at the pictures *WINK WINK*

At least when I went I could see through all the B.S...now I don't know who is lying and who is telling the truth.

What camera are you using there EG?

BTW, looks like Vegas is going to be a go, unless the weather really takes a turn. I'll be back Saturday evening, probably too late to do a dinner date, but not too late to go out with the guys from my shop and do some bowling. Sunday I am pretty much open, unless the wife wants to do something. She cancelled our reservations for the fairy tale castle, so now I think she is a little P.O.'d. So what do women do when they are P.O.'d, they spend $$$...I'll be posting a help wanted ad in this room...stay tuned
wink.gif

I am not sure which Poaching story Moosie keeps alluding too.... It could be the guys who shot the goose while roadhunting, it could be the guys that about shot the Pintail, it could be the guy that thought about shooting the Swan, or the guys in the boat, hunting under power...
mad.gif

The first duck that got whacked was a drake that came zooming in and landed next to two decoys. Pretty soon, it is whispering sweet nothings to the Hen decoy.
hump.gif
I thought about shooting it, but I know that shooting ducks on the water is unethical, and hard on the decoys when it is that close.

But, the place we are hunting has a big drop off to the main channel, "somewhere" the other side of our decoys. We haven't found the drop off yet, but you can tell it is there, by the current seam. So, I just keep the gun aimed at the duck, and he starts swimming away from the decoy he was talking to, and toward the deep water. I guess he must have taken flight, although it was not visible to the naked eye, and BOOM, he was shot.

Into the water I go, splashing and thrashing, and start chasing this now drifting duck, before the deep water. We have had a bit of discussion on what is the easiest way to catch a floating duck. You can either go straight toward the floating duck, and end up ata 45 degree angle from the bank, and catch the duck from behind, or run down the bank, past the duck, and then head out at a 90 to intercept. Like most good retrievers, I take the direct route. It seems to work, as I have yet to lose a duck.

The second duck was a self-retrieve, and was easy enough, that I let Moosie fetch it...
biggrin.gif

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back