Advanced trail riders advice welcome

Nambaster

I took my Honda Ct110 up the trail I have been wanting to take it up and I will admit it was a white knuckle handlebar gripping tooth clencher. For anyone that does advance trail riding. How do you do it? I was scared to death of slipping off the single track and fall into the abyss. Had to keep telling myself not to look down. I couldn’t focus on glassing for game. I was rock hopping and putting my legs down constantly to keep balance. The over growth was wacking me in the face. I will listen to any and all advice on how to get better at it. I was chugging around in low range. I imagine the other sport bikers blasting through there. How do you do steep declines? Even in first gear in low range I was constantly using the rear brake to slow my descent.

Good for you getting away and challenging yourself in these trying times of Bull Shi$ matter$.
"will listen to any and all advice on how to get better at it."
keep asking self "There must be a better way"

I never did master it myself. In my youth I ripped around the CO Rockies on my 250 trying to keep up with friends on smaller and lighter Bultacos and other such bikes better suited to the task but after having run into a car which pulled out in front of me back in Denver I never could breach that barrier. It wasn't fear, but I think more a sense of responsibility toward my family and my job which kept me from full out reckless abandon after having dodged the grim reaper. I still rode the rocks and ridges but did so like a man with nothing to prove.

Best of luck to you and hope you never get too far beyond your comfort level.

Although I rode on roads and or quad trails mostly when I used a Honda Fat Cat I did ride on a few trails that were motorcycle only. I did lay the bike down a few more times than I should have and eventually decided it wasn't for me especially in snow or ice. I then gave up and purchased a quad. Those motorcycle only trails became foot only for me.
I know this doesn't help but it is what I did.

I rode a little back in the day. Honestly either you have it or you don't.
Some tips would be
#1 stand up. The bike moves under you and you relax and float on top of it. Soft hands soft arms "no death grip". Standing also moves your weight down to the pegs the bike will be way easier to balance.
#2 practice without hunting gear but in riding gear. boots, knee/elbow pads, chest protector, Jersey and of course a dirt bike helmet.
You are going to crash it's a dirtbike if you are not crashing you are not challenging yourself It's the only way you will learn. It's going to hurt but you want to avoid getting injured.
#3 Look further ahead and go faster. You are riding a sort of gyroscope the faster the tires turn the easier it is to balance.

Here is a clip of one of the nation's best desert trail riders winning our local 100mi single track race in a couple of hours.
Seriously watch it and realize that as he passes those riders like they are standing still they are going as fast as they think they can go.

And remember, if you are going to be dumb you gotta be tuff!

That is some good input and the video is pretty awesome. It is especially cool that he helps that dude out of the wash. Oreana is a great place to recreate. The single track that I was on hobbles along cliff sides and it is scary for sure.
90D4B1AF-837A-49BF-8137-416B88758341.jpeg

I know it easy to say and hard to do but you have to block the sides of the trail out the only obstacles that matter are the ones ON the trail.
Try this exercise find a narrow section of trail with open ground on the sides try riding the length of it at a good speed. Note how easy/hard it is to stay on the trail. Now do it as slow as you were riding the trail in the picture. Note the difference.
Now grab a board the same width as that trail. Lay it across a canyon/canal or wash and you will feel the metal difference.

A lot of it will come with experience, I've been riding dirt bikes most of my life and I'm one of those crazy guys that still rides 3 wheelers. How long have you been riding? You're body position when in the seat is important when hitting corners fast, and standing when crossing obstacles will really help with balance.

I wouldn't be riding a CT110 in places like that, I'd consider that bike to be useful on fire roads and trails that are mostly flat, it was basically built as a delivery bike after all. When the terrain gets difficult you're going to miss things like off-road tires and suspension travel. Your bike weighs nearly as much as a modern trial bike but is down on power and trail features so it will not be as easy to take it on single track and technical trails. That being said, you need to start by standing on the pegs and gripping the bike with your legs, suck up the bumps with your arms and legs.

These guys will show you everything you need to know, and they're Aussies, so they're fairly entertaining:

That is some good input and the video is pretty awesome. It is especially cool that he helps that dude out of the wash. Oreana is a great place to recreate. The single track that I was on hobbles along cliff sides and it is scary for sure.
View attachment 144656

Back