Adjustment on my pack?

duckhunt

We have a blizzard going on right now so im just messing around putting my hunting gear away for the year. While im cleaning out my pack I noticed a back length adjustment. Well that got me thinking. When I packed out my antelope last fall I thought there was alot of pressure on my shoulder straps. Could I be carrying the load to low? Im thinking if I adjusted it higher it might be more comfortable.

There are videos available that walk you through how to properly adjust the yoke.

Much of it is personnel preference. I'm tall and I find the closer I can get it to my center of gravity, higher on my back, the better it is. Even loading the pack, the light stuff on the bottom the heavy stuff near the top.

I've seen guys do just the opposite. It doesn't work for me.

The belt can make a big difference. With a properly adjusted padded belt, you can get your hips to take some of the load. I also keep my pack below fifty pounds, which for me is the difference between tolerable and miserable.

Also looking at my pack out pic I noticed the load was strapped low.

IMG951808.jpg

Looking at all the straps on my pack I think I can move the load higher.

This was the pack out location.

20200118_095317.jpg

The higher straps

20200118_095600.jpg

Much of it is personnel preference. I'm tall and I find the closer I can get it to my center of gravity, higher on my back, the better it is. Even loading the pack, the light stuff on the bottom the heavy stuff near the top.

I've seen guys do just the opposite. It doesn't work for me.

The belt can make a big difference. With a properly adjusted padded belt, you can get your hips to take some of the load. I also keep my pack below fifty pounds, which for me is the difference between tolerable and miserable.
I never thought about the belt.

Im giving my wife some humor today. She is laughing at me taking pictures of my pack with a diet coke box strapped to it LOL

Duck- From your pic of your pack out it does look like you have the load strapped low. I prefer higher in the middle like your second coke pic.
Also I’m not familiar with that pack but if it has adjustments to move the shoulder straps on the bag/frame try adjusting them down to raise your entire pack. Your pack looks to be low on your body. Also be sure to have about 30lbs in the pack while adjusting it.
It’s a personal fit for you so keep adjusting until it feels good for you.

We have a blizzard going on right now so im just messing around putting my hunting gear away for the year. While im cleaning out my pack I noticed a back length adjustment. Well that got me thinking. When I packed out my antelope last fall I thought there was alot of pressure on my shoulder straps. Could I be carrying the load to low? Im thinking if I adjusted it higher it might be more comfortable.

For packing meat, approximately 80 percent on hips, 20 percent on shoulders.
You can adjust as you hike by adjusting the load lifter straps on the top of the pack.
Do not adjust an empty pack...fill you pack to mimic packing out your antelope.

Waist belt too high above hips…torso length too short
Space between shoulder strap and shoulder….torso length too long

Pressure front of shoulder…shoulder strap too tight
Pressure back of shoulder….load lifter too tight

With your loaded pack, look at your shoulder straps on a full length mirror:BackpackFit.JPG

For packing meat you want the top of the frame / load lifter location to be at low/mid ear or higher. Often hipbelts slip with packout loads which lowers effective frame height too much.

1580829240363.png

You want the heavy part of your load (meat) as close to the pack frame as you can get it. If I were using that pack I'd put the meat inside and strap hunting gear to the outside if necessary. You're doomed to discomfort if you're strapping the meat to the back or bottom of the pack, IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back