Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Adjustable Objective?

119bowhunter

Curious as to how many people use a scope with an adjustable objective and how necessary is it or at what ranges do you find that you parallax is an issue?

I only have 1 scope with AO. 6-18 Vortex that i use on my "range" rifle. None of my other 5 rifles have it.
For a hunting scope i personally don't want it.
Out to 500 yards i really have no use for it.

As a rule of thumb, parallax will be an issue on any scope with more than about 10x magnification at any range other than the parallax-free distance set at the factory.

I have a Leupold 4.5-14 with no parallax adjustment. Will never do that again.

Have 3 variables that top out at 12 and one at 14. Two of the 12's are Lupe CDS as is the 14...no adjustments, no issues. I barely tolerate the "busy'ness" of an etched dial. Hatched reticles, focus wheels, and twist objectives drive me nuts for hunting applications.

If you want more than 10x power scope, then it is a really good idea. Most light conditions will benefit from parallax adjustment to crisp up the image and prevent change in point of impact at different ranges.

I prefer side adjustment as well, but I probably wouldn't seek out a AO on any future hunting scope. My current rifle has an AO but I rarely use it, especially while hunting. I generally leave it set around 100yards, which would be my typical shot range.

I have one on a Bushnell I have on my 25-06. I usually leave it on 200 yards (my zero) unless I am taking a farther shot than that. Up closer it doesn't make much difference.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've never had a scope with one as my shots are generally pretty close but I'm fixing to buy a new scope and just wanted to see what the consensus was

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back