MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Adak Caribou DIY 2023?

44hunter45

Some friends and I were thinking about NE AK for Caribou in 2023 but the subsistence ruling changed that.

I know some of you have done Adak DIY. Tell me about it. Do you have contacts for rentals, meat transport, etc.
What are the gear requirements? I'm set up for technical clothes, 4 season tent, etc. I'm not sharing my stuff and I snore! What do my buddies need for a gear list?

Reading wllm's 2018 thread now.

@wllm?

Last edited:
A tag and a gun. 🤣🤣. And it sounds like earplugs. Haha. Pretty sure AK in general will turn into a share all. Team efforts are way better in those parts. Good luck on your hunt

You really don't need a vehicle unless you hunt December or January when the snow pushes the bou into town. The road system is very limited and the bou are not on it until deep snow.
Half the island is F&W Refuge so no vehicles allowed.
Get off plane and started hiking into the hills.
Once you get your bou you might want to rent a house with chest freezer. Just ask around, everyone knows everybody and their business.
I'm thinking of going in 2023 also and taking my wife. We'll be going in early September.

Tent should be aerodynamic.
My friend took a dome tent and the wind grabbed it like a parachute, pulled up his stakes and drug all 300. lbs of him plus his gear across the tundra towards a cliff overlooking a pond. He yelled out for help during the night and I had to rescue him.

Tipi shelters and stove are worthless there. Tipi will become a kite and there's no wood unless you stay at the beach and burn driftwood.

Rain gear, and plan at least three days prior and three to five after to sit and wait for fog so your plane can get there and then get out. Otherwise that miserable rock is a cool place.

Read a piece last night that said leave your Sitka Timberline at home. Go brown and not green? I'm don't see myself re-investing in a whole set of layering gear.

Read a piece last night that said leave your Sitka Timberline at home. Go brown and not green? I'm don't see myself re-investing in a whole set of layering gear.
Camo color doesn't really matter with bou, they're curious and might walk up closer to you, especially if you wear white.
September everything is green. Later it turns brown.

I'm liking the hard antler period in early September, before the rut. I assume that means the weather shifts to be even more predictably miserable?

I'm liking the hard antler period in early September, before the rut. I assume that means the weather shifts to be even more predictably miserable?
Fog delays in Sep can set you back. Give yourself extra time. Adak only has 2 flights a week so if it's canceled due to fog they may not do a "make up flight" and just wait until the next scheduled flight.

My response was in jest…… but a hunting buddy that doesn’t share doesn’t seem like a hunting buddy at all. I guess they better just bring there own.

Let them know ahead of time though. Haha. That you won’t be there for them. Guess they better bring an inreach at least and a WANT to be on their own.

You sound like a real joy to hunt with….

in general most Alaskan Hunters don't like the breathable Rain Gear for something a little more guaranteed. I'll be taking my Kuiu Chugach though as that is what I've got.
As others have said - Caribou are curious and camo doesn't help as much unless you are trying with a bow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back