Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Action Screw Torque

thomas89

Kind of a fun, productive time at the range today. Talked with an old friend about skim bedding my Stocky’s stock because the sucker just didn’t want to shoot ANYTHING that well. He mentioned that the torque screws can impact accuracy. Last easy step before bedding so I figured what the hell. Shot groups at 35, 40, and 45 inch pounds.

Shot these groups with Federal Copper loads at 100 yards. Think it was pretty telling.

Then went and cranked the torque back to 35 and shot two more groups with the last two rounds of Federal I had, as well as 4 rounds of Winchester. From what I’ve read 35PSI is adequate for a 270Win, I’ll have a few more range trips to mess around with it but finally some accuracy that’s got me interested. Don’t mind that flier, trying to time my shots with the Wyoming gusts always doesn’t work out.

Attachments

• C35651E9-56B5-43C8-BD83-C22A6DE39A9A.jpeg
    C35651E9-56B5-43C8-BD83-C22A6DE39A9A.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 24CA9725-BBE7-412E-88B2-94E545B7F147.jpeg
    24CA9725-BBE7-412E-88B2-94E545B7F147.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
That’s interesting. I think you mean in-lbs instead of psi. I have a rifle that might benefit from similar tinkering.

That’s interesting. I think you mean in-lbs instead of psi. I have a rifle that might benefit from similar tinkering.
Yes, inch pounds...I am very good at getting them confused. Not very good at knowing the difference.

What action is it?

I think stock makers get over zealous on their torque specs.
Sometimes you can differentially torque the screws and get more out of it too.
And also which screw gets torqued first.
It can also help to "set" the reciever before torquing. Snug the screws and bump the butt pad on a hard surface.
Honestly it's easier just to bed the dang thing if it's that picky.

What action is it?

I think stock makers get over zealous on their torque specs.
Sometimes you can differentially torque the screws and get more out of it too.
And also which screw gets torqued first.
It can also help to "set" the reciever before torquing. Snug the screws and bump the butt pad on a hard surface.
Honestly it's easier just to bed the dang thing if it's that picky.
Howa action. Stocky’s carbon fiber stock.

Not wanting to tackle a bedding project before this years first hunting season as I am a classic over-thinker and don’t have enough time. But I agree, on the off-season to-do list.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back