Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Accuracy advantages of lead free bullets?

I have a sample pack of Hammer 131's on the way.
I shoot Hammers in two of my rifles. The only reason I don't use them for the other two is they rarely get fired anymore, and I have about 100 rounds of Barnes TSX loaded for each.

Call Steve and ask him for a powder recommendation. My Remington Mountain Rifle will put a 10 shot string in under an inch without cooling.

In the one rifle that I run them in the Barnes ttsx WAY out shot the hornady eld-x, it was not even close. The eld-x's was averaging about 1.75" and the ttsx's average just under an inch.

ELD-X has been the most consistently accurate bullet I've ever run through my rifle. I have a target hanging in my garage that I shot at 400 yards, off my hunting pack. 1.85" group at 400 yards with 162 ELD-X's

Like I said, I wish the TTSX's worked. I'd prefer to use them.

ELD-X has been the most consistently accurate bullet I've ever run through my rifle. I have a target hanging in my garage that I shot at 400 yards, off my hunting pack. 1.85" group at 400 yards with 162 ELD-X's

Like I said, I wish the TTSX's worked. I'd prefer to use them.
Sometimes, you just gotta move on. mtmuley

Yep. Hated the bullet on game. Sometimes it ain't all about it bitty groups. mtmuley
Like I said at the beginning of the discussion, I'm one of those "accuracy trumps all" guys. If you want to make the argument that you'd rather have a better bullet in a less than perfect location, feel free. To each their own. I'm not going to criticize bullet performance unless it first hits where I'm aiming. If it doesn't do that, then that's on me.

Like I said at the beginning of the discussion, I'm one of those "accuracy trumps all" guys. If you want to make the argument that you'd rather have a better bullet in a less than perfect location, feel free. To each their own. I'm not going to criticize bullet performance unless it first hits where I'm aiming. If it doesn't do that, then that's on me.
I have other loads that shoot equally as well. To clarify, a 190 Berger at 3400 fps messes things up. That's why I quit using them. A 181 Hammer at that speed, or 200 grain Accubond at 3200 not so much mess. I used to agonize over groups over 1/2 inch for hunting. Now I know better. mtmuley

I have other loads that shoot equally as well. To clarify, a 190 Berger at 3400 fps messes things up. That's why I quit using them. A 181 Hammer at that speed, or 200 grain Accubond at 3200 not so much mess. I used to agonize over groups over 1/2 inch for hunting. Now I know better. mtmuley
Glad you found what works for you. We all need time and experience of our own to get there.

Be sure to super clean the barrel when you switch to mono bullets, particularly with the old style Barnes that have no grooves. I had to use an electric/chemical process that uses a rod in the bore from Outers to clean out old copper fouling that did not succumb to brushes and patches and that made the mono's work better, try that to see if it helps.

Back