Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A tough spot

hunting buddies

I have gone elk hunting with 3 different people who only had experience with mid-west whitetails and had never hunted in the west. All three turned out to be a bad experience. I don't hunt elk anymore with anyone who hasn't done it before.

Be honest with him in all aspects and let reality set in before you drag him half way across the country! It hurts, but it is for the best. Had a similar situation with the brother in law this year.

If he is a GOOD friend I'd let him know what he's in for, workout with him if possible, and let him decide if its for him. Having a good friend along, IMO, often makes the experience all the better even if you aren't within hand holding distance the whole time. If you don't intend to wait on him to catch up while hunting, make sure he know that upfront so there's no hard feelings after the trip about "being left behind".

Heck, I'm 100#s overweight and can still make it around in the mtns and have a great time doing so. I'm as bad as the next guy, but I feel that all too often too much emphasis is put on the "gear"...

Hunting gear - agreed. Probably over-emphasized. There has been several different times over the years during rifle season, I have packed elk back in base layer and short sleeves?! Camping gear - not so much. Ya have to have a good dry place to come home to, warm bag for a good nights rest! Start saving!
So, you boys working out, working on the hunt plan?, give us an update.
>>>A couple weeks until the CO draw results!!! (All this talk of planning...my neck is gettin' swoolen just thinking about it)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back