Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

A tip for camper trailers at remote sites.

OntarioHunter

Okay, you've pulled the trailer/RV up to a remote campsite with no amenities and expect weather to get cold and nasty. Filling up the sewage holding tank is not a good idea. So what to do? Sure, one can always poop over a log but that's not fun when it's freezing out. Porta-potty will do the job but storing and cleaning them is definitely no fun. Here's what I do: buy a couple boxes of kitchen waste bags, the white ones in large size. Open up a bag and drop it in RV toilet. Stretch the top of bag around top of toilet (lids up of course). The bag should just fit around the top of toilet. Drop the seat and squat in toasty sheltered comfort. When finished, peel the bag loose, tie the top closed, and drop into the campfire outside for sanitary incineration. I think the lady hunters will especially appreciate this tip.

Okay, you've pulled the trailer/RV up to a remote campsite with no amenities and expect weather to get cold and nasty. Filling up the sewage holding tank is not a good idea. So what to do? Sure, one can always poop over a log but that's not fun when it's freezing out. Porta-potty will do the job but storing and cleaning them is definitely no fun. Here's what I do: buy a couple boxes of kitchen waste bags, the white ones in large size. Open up a bag and drop it in RV toilet. Stretch the top of bag around top of toilet (lids up of course). The bag should just fit around the top of toilet. Drop the seat and squat in toasty sheltered comfort. When finished, peel the bag loose, tie the top closed, and drop into the campfire outside for sanitary incineration. I think the lady hunters will especially appreciate this tip.
All of my tanks (fresh, gray, and black) all have heaters on them.

On the few occasions when my water lines stayed frozen for more than a few hours we also used the gallon jug next to the toilet. (y)
That is much better than smelling roasting turds when hanging out by the campfire.
I also agree that pooping outdoors is no fun in bad weather.

You'll have problems if you use a 95 quart bag. That's why you end up bagging three or four times. A mature bowel movement requires a 150 quart, construction grade bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need the large size kitchen bag to stretch over the toilet. Depth is not an issue. It's circumference. The cheap no name brand I bought is pretty thin. Not a lot of plastic but enough to not leak ... yet. No odor that I can detect as long as the campfire is burning hot. Sure beats having to mess with cleaning the sewage tank later in subzero weather.

Heaters on the tanks? Well that sounds like a fancy rock band pusher bus. How do you keep the heaters powered up? Listening to the drone of a generator all night? Real wilderness atmosphere. My camp is a bit more on the rustic side. Much more rustic when I was staying in my wall tent in subzero (F) weather. The answer then was a Chinette paper plate that got tossed in the stove. Warning: pay the money for Chinette plates. With a full load on board the cheap ones tend to collapse on the way to the fire. Been there done that. Also a good idea to practice aiming bombs during the off season. Preferably on a floor that's easily cleaned. Preferably when the wife is not at home. The paper plate trick worked for me for years ... but of course I always hunted alone. For a bunch of tough elk hunters you guys are sure squeamish. Who guts your animals? The butler?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back