A Summer of Moose and Mosquitoes

Beautiful bull! Congratulations on punching your tag! Can't wait to see more pics and read the rest of the story. I look forward to following your Big Horn Sheep Hunt next fall! ;)

The cast of characters-

20160930_215352.jpg

From left to right- Jeff (Kaitum), Grant (Mthuntr), Travis (theat), Gerald, and Ross (MinnesotaHunter)

After Barry took off Tuesday night, Ross and I headed into a drainage above a lake, that's a pretty long hike in. (Don't ask why we're choosing to do this hike on the night with the least amount of people in camp).

There's a couple great vantage points that look down into the willowy Valley floor. Ross took one, and I took the other and started cow calling.

Maybe a half hour after I started calling, I heard a twig snap half way down the rock out crap I'm stationed on. As I was still wondering to myself what could've make the noise, a lion hopped out on to the Boulder not ten yards below me. We locked eyes, and it was a little tense for a second. The longer we stayed locked on each other, the more obvious it became that he wasn't at all worried about me. Ears forward, relaxed muscles, no danger. I was able to snap a couple pictures I'll post later. Finally I decided we had had enough bonding time and shouted a couple times, sending him wandering off into the creek bottom.

Ross came up the trail right as the lion was slinking away. Our thoughts were he pushed it into me, which is how I caught him so exposed.

I was still in the process of showing Ross pictures and regal in g my story when we heard as grunt up drainage. The cow calling has worked, and we had a bull headed in.

He was a very nice bull, but didn't show himself until legal shooting light was waning, and was at a distance I wasn't comfortable with.

Very eventful night for no shots fired.

The pictures I promised of the amazing lion experience-

You'll take note of the boulder and log just in front of my glassing post here-

20160927_185304.jpg

And here he is, in all his glory. Gotta be the most amazing five minutes of my life-

20160927_185555.jpg

Here's the view from the rock behind the lake. This is the spot both Ross and I were posting from throughout the week. There was a very good bull in this canyon, but he never wanted to give us a shot opportunity. I think we hiked in and out of this spot five times trying to locate him. After taking apart my bull, I'm not too sad about not killing this one. Would've been a hell of a pack out.

ATT00001.jpg

The amount of good moose habitat in this unit is amazing. Almost every creek bottom and meadow is full of willows, and every moose we saw was very near willows. We covered a ton of ground the last 10 days, usually hiking in from trailheads up canyons filled with willows, then climbing to the best high points we could find on the canyon walls. It's amazing how easy an animal the size of a moose can hide in willows and regrowth lodgepole.

20160926_085037.jpg

20160926_165648.jpg

20160930_102329.jpg

The biologist counts an average of 20 moose a year in this unit on her aerial survey. In 12 days of hunting, we located 20 different moose, 11 of which were bulls. The hot cows we found had at least 2 bulls with them. While I wasn't too excited about killing an animal in such a struggling population, it made it much easier to once we saw how high the bull to cow ratio is.

A couple of the smaller bulls I passed on, including the one that charged Ross and I on Sunday-

20160925_194423.jpg

20160926_073610.jpg

20160928_090733.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff's undefeated steak dinner for the first night of the hunt-

20160923_204829.jpg

While we had been consistently seeing moose, we had really only found the one bull behind the lake that was a mature bull. Our last ditch effort for that bull was Friday night, then if he wasn't located we would head into another area Saturday morning where theat had located some smaller bulls. Friday night was beautiful, but again the big bull didn't show. We threw in the towel on him taking a ride in the truck.

Saturday morning we hiked into the wilderness to the area where theat had located the bulls a day earlier. I had not yet decided how far I was willing to lower my standards, but I knew I most certainly wanted to kill a moose with all of my friends there, rather than later in the season and possibly while hunting solo.

It was one of the more enjoyable mornings I've had hunting, but the only moose that showed that morning was a young cow/calf.

This put all the pressure on Saturday night. Ross needed to fly out early Sunday, and if it was going to happen, it was going to happen that night. Our plan ended up being to split into three groups of two, with each group taking a glassing spot near a road. The three glassing spots had all yielded moose, and were all close enough to one road that if a non-tag holding group spotted a bull, they could come get the tag-holding group to try and plan a stalk. A bit Mossback-y, but we were getting desperate.

My group partner (Ross) was taken from me an hour before dark due to an elk that needed stalked, so I was left alone in my glassing spot.

With about a half hour of light left, I could hear Jeff's pickup headed my direction in a rather timely fashion. By the time he reached my location, I was ready to go and see if we could make it happen. Jeff let me know that the had a smaller bull located, and off we went.

Grant had stayed at their glassing point to baby-sit the moose while Jeff retrieved me, and still had them located when we returned. I had to cut the distance somewhat, and was able to find a boulder to set up on. As soon as I put the scope on the moose, I was blown away at what Jeff said was a small bull. Evidently this guy didn't show when they first located the moose.

I had very little light left, and the bull was dogging a cow and calf hard. He would give me a broadside shot, but it always seemed like one of the other moose was inline. It felt like forever, but with three minutes of shooting light left he finally stepped out and gave me a broadside shot at 190 yards. The first shot hit, and I was able to put a second shot while he was still standing. The second shot hit neck and he dropped in the spot.

Jeff and I headed down the hill fast to get on the bull before we lost light, and in the process had to 'chase' the other moose out of the area. It was an incredible animal to walk up to. Such a unique, giant animal. This bull was very similar in size to the bull that we had been chasing behind the lake.

It took a while, but we finally got all six of us to the kill site. The butchering went fast due to Gerald's skilled hands, and we had the final loads in the truck at 1 AM. It is mind blowing to me how much meat we were able to salvage off that carcass. The quarters were big, but the trim meat was just staggering. The neck alone yielded more meat that some deer I've killed.

I hope the other guys chime in with some of their pictures. This hunt was as much theirs as it was mine. They each put in a ton of work, and were absolutely invaluable in finding and taking care of this moose. I'm incredibly lucky to have such great friends, and I can't wait to return the favor.

20161001_200102.jpg

moose2.jpg

20161001_201947.jpg

ATT00001 (2).jpg

Last edited:
The moose was the obvious reward, but just being in that beautiful country with good friends had to be great. Just curious, I think everyone following along was completely confident you'd be getting a moose, were you just as sure? Congratulations on the whole adventure!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back