A spike almost got the bullet

trophy_killer

Last night when we were hunting I was heading to one of my favorite spots when I saw what looked to be a face in the trees. I pulled up my gun and sure enough, there about 60 yards away there was a deer just laying there. I waited for about 5 minutes until she got up and started feeding right in the middle of the trail I was walking. About 2 minutes after she started eating another doe came out and started eating right next to her. More deer kept coming out for the next 10 minutes until I had about 6 or 7 does standing broadside 60 yards away. I caught movement to my right and slowly eased my rifle that way and thats when I saw him walking through the trees. I kept watchin him but couldn't tell how big it was because the branches hung down to low. Finally he made it out to feed in the trail with the does and thats when I saw his horns going up about 8 or 9 inches. I clicked off safety and put my crosshairs right on his neck. Something told me to check his antlers one last time and I'm glad I did. He was a spike about 8 or 9 inches wide and about the same tall. I kept tryin to see if he had even a small fork but nope, solid spike all the way. So I had to let them pass. I continued up the trail and didn't see another animal. Even though it was only a couple of does and a spike I was really excited because it was the first time where my dad split up besides him telling me to sit somewhere while he goes and sits about 200 yards or so away. We are going back out to this place in about a half hour or so so hopefully I'll see them again tonight but they will be traveling with a legal buck (Forked horn or better). Well I'm glad I had that quick thought of checking his antlers again or I would have felt sick to my stomach shooting something illegally.

Good story elkboy and good call also. Hope you get the one you want now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back