Caribou Gear Tarp

A quick trip to check out some new gear.

44hunter45

Tagged out until October rifle opens. I proved yesterday I'm the worst pike fisherman on the planet.
Decided to do a 3 day run up into the Freezeout Ridge country, Idaho. It is now a Wilderness Study Area and maybe my luck will be better on trout.
Good to test my gear and legs on something vertical again.
All the imagery and maps say there is no way in to this lake but IDFG fish survey has results from 2018. SOMEONE got in there.

1600279027060.png

I have not been there, but the BLM website shows a primitive campsite named for the lake by the road so it seems like some sort of trail would have been established down to the lake. But based on other trails out in that area maintenance would be limited and even the established trails disappear at times.

Haha from the title, I thought you were heading out to Sportsman's Warehouse or the like to "check out some new gear". This is better.

I have not been there, but the BLM website shows a primitive campsite named for the lake by the road so it seems like some sort of trail would have been established down to the lake. But based on other trails out in that area maintenance would be limited and even the established trails disappear at times.
There is a long trail which starts two drainages over end ends up a mile below the lake after a 4 mile switchback hike. It puts you down in Delaney Creek. I've been on that one.

I'm not worried about the trail as much as the 50% chance of snow for Friday night.

Got home today. The trip turned into a Type 2 fun adventure. My gear worked flawlessly. Mrs45 is actually glad I spend >$1000 on new gear.

New gear: (I might not have made it home without this stuff. )
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3 tent
MSR WhisperLite International Stove (any liquid fuel)
Rab brand Solar 4 15°F poly sleeping bag
SeatoSummit matress pad.

Existing gear:
Hoffman 8" Explorer boot. (I got these in July and I've put about 150 miles on them. My next set will be their 10". I did not want to wait for a set to be made this time around. )
MountainSmith trekking poles.
ALPs Outdoorz Commander pack. ( I started out going with my Eberlestock RMEF M5, but I simply could not get everything I needed in 3100ci. ) (I'm looking for something 5000-6000+ for my POW trip)
Cabela's E.C.W.C.S. medium weight synthetic base layer.

Food:
Peak Refuel Mountain Berry granola
Trailtopia Ginger Chicken Stir Fry with Rice
Trialtopia Beer Braised Chicken Stew
Various NutriSystem snack bars
Almonds
Sasquatch jerky
All my suppliers were sold out of Mountain House. I was looking forward to the Biscuits and Gravy.

What I did not have that I should have had:
Technical clothes. I'm a believer now. I was soaked to the skin for several hours in 40ish °F and the only piece I had was the Cabela's synthetic base layer. I'm glad I had them.
Some kind of electrolyte supplement. I had muscle cramps in the tent both nights.
More food. I thought I had plenty, but I will not have less that 3000 calories per day between meals and snacks.

On the whole, it was as miserable, vertical, and wet as I imagine POW to be next year. I even got a fistful of Devil's Club.

The outdoor store wanted to sell me a down bag. I was set on poly because of how it handle wet clothes and bodies. It proved true on this trip.

What else I learned:
Even an old hand is foolish to jump into a trip with little planning in this country in late September.

I have photos of the walk in, but nothing from today. I was not wanting to waste any energy on a the camera, so I packed it away. I had an 800 foot vertical scramble in the pouring rain. After summiting out, I had 3 more miles on the USFS road to the truck.
I was parked in a USFS campground, and I was the only one there. I got the truck started, then used the vestibule of the USFS potty to strip off my soaked clothes and put on dry ones from freezer bags in my pack.
Years ago I got hypothermia AFTER getting in my truck with wet clothes. on. The truck heater evaporates the moisture from the wet clothes and can make you colder, not warmer.

45 pounds seemed like overkill for three days, but I used everything except the First Aid kit.
P9184299.JPG

Back