A New Morning Show

I liked the format and idea. So far I was aware of the topics covered but I try and stay pretty informed. I feel like for the audience as a whole is a great idea. I think you could really expand the idea and cover a lot of topics with a diverse group of people with educated backgrounds and thoughts.

We just recorded Episode 2 today. Marcus wants to focus on the North American Model and how those tenets play in the current issues we discuss. Once we get through those seven supporting pillars, I think he intends to take a deep dive into them with more detail and examples.

Today we talked about the Public Trust Doctrine. I nerded out, being a Trustee of many trusts and having spent a ton of time working on ideas related to the PTD and wildlife. How much of my rambling he wants to keep is up to him.

Those wondering what video was referred to, here is a link. Marcus wants to do this weekly, until we hit the road again in September.

This is awesome--thanks for doing it, @Big Fin . The clarity and explanations you provide on how the world of conservation and wildlife management works is a real service, and greatly appreciated.

Some members of my local sportsman's org and I have been trying to develop a similar idea, but specific to Oregon. Basically, we're trying to highlight current conservation issues in the state, the history of them, and clarify possible ways to address and advocate for these issues. We plan to start with one of the most common misconceptions that we run into-- the fact that many folks do not know/understand how rules, management decisions, conservation strategies, etc. get made, and which governing body (whether it be the fish and wildlife agency, or the legislature, or land management agency, or all three together) is responsible for making and administering those decisions. A lot of folks tend to lean on blaming ODFW for everything that's wrong with hunting here in Oregon, when many of our problems have been created by (and can only be fixed by) the legislature/ballot box.

I'm wondering if you have plans to cover similar state-specific topics. This would be tricky given that it differs so much state-by-state, but since it was stated in your first episode that you want to make the series interactive, it would be interesting to have hunter/conservations highlight important topics from their state to get important messages out. It wouldn't even have to be guest spots, but people could write in with conservation topics from their state. Like I could see @Oak laying down some truth about wild vs domestic sheep issues in Colorado.

TLDR: I like what you're doing and am excited to see where it goes.

I just thought of another name for it, “CDH-Coffee, Donuts and Huntalk.”

We just recorded Episode 2 today. Marcus wants to focus on the North American Model and how those tenets play in the current issues we discuss. Once we get through those seven supporting pillars, I think he intends to take a deep dive into them with more detail and examples.

Today we talked about the Public Trust Doctrine. I nerded out, being a Trustee of many trusts and having spent a ton of time working on ideas related to the PTD and wildlife. How much of my rambling he wants to keep is up to him.

Those wondering what video was referred to, here is a link. Marcus wants to do this weekly, until we hit the road again in September.

You two did a great job. I was surfing FT+ and that title sucked me right in.

I loved The New Morning Show I caught on YouTube today. A New Morning Show The format was great and I really enjoyed the Science discussion. Did you see it? What did you think? Nice work Marcus and Randy.

I liked how it didn't take Randy long to get to the point that a lot of hunters don't actually want science-based management, either.

QQ

I liked how it didn't take Randy long to get to the point that a lot of hunters don't actually want science-based management, either.

QQ

Maybe, and I more took away what I’ve witnessed; picking and choosing data. I teach research routinely, and one of the greatest challenges is eliminating confirmation bias. Most people are hunting for information to back up their opinion.

Back