A music poll to accompany Friday Tunes

If you had to choose one to listen to exclusively...

• Music released before you were born

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Music released after you were born

Votes: 39 81.3%

• Total voters

QuazyQuinton

This question kind of intrigues me, because there are several layers of complexity to the answer. Either way I'd be giving up some good stuff. Obviously the actual year of your birth would be a significant factor in what falls into either category. 1977 for me, and I'm pretty solidly in the "before" camp, but I expect to be in the minority.

QQ

PS Honorary mention of Miss Europe who would undoubtedly have chosen the after.

Lots of good stuff before my time that I like, but there's so much music that brings back memories that was made after I was born, that I have to make that choice.

Last edited:
Born in '62. I like all (good) music going back to the classical masters.
Hard to choose either one. Now if you had asked what music I hate......

Tough call. Born in 1961, and certainly more than half the music I listen to was written before that date... Hot Jazz, Cool Jazz, Gypsy Jazz, Swing, Medieval, Chamber, Baroque, Romantic, Symphonic etc. As far as pop/rock music goes, I don't think it gets better than the mid/late 1960's through the 1970's, so that's where the rub comes - but I've also go to say if I hear the Eagles Hotel California one more time I'm going to break something :)

Gonna have to think on this...

The paradox of the question is that we generally assume that the older a person is, the more likely they are to prefer older styles of music. But the older a person is, the more likely they are to have been born before that music came out. For a little perspective, I asked this question of my three kids and my son-in-law at dinner Friday evening. They were instantaneously unanimous with "before."

QQ

I'd rather select 1 cartridge to hunt with for the rest of my life than this dystopian hell choice.

There is over 3 millennia of human music out there, and if I have to choose between baroque, traditional folks music from around the world, jazz, bluegrass and the greats who developed and pioneered them or Limp Bizkit & Ace of Base, then I don't want to live.

'51, so somewhere between Mozart and Swift...Imma go with Lynnard, the Caldwell bros, a Dash of the Eagles, Allmans, any iteration involving Paul Rodgers, Jimi, Orbison...these guys won't be replicated...not even AI can do it.

Definitely after

The only relevant data set to come out of this poll is that 87% of respondents are musical illiterates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back