A Middle Fork Float Hunt

Thanks for sharing such a great adventure. That is a dream hunt of mine and hopefully I’ll get to tag along with a tag holder someday. I’ve done the MF at 4.7’ and the upper end was a pretty wild ride. Ran into a couple groups that experienced some carnage on the river. One group lost their whole raft and most of their gear. They were waiting at the Indian Ck strip for a flight out.

Great write up and awesome hunt! I love the MF and have been down a quite a few times between 2-6'. Snagged a preseason permit for May 24 this year, hope the roads open!

Thanks for sharing that. Beautiful pictures, and amazing scenery. Amazed that ram stayed together like he did.

Fantastic 👍
For some reason, the last of my story did not post so here goes;
We took care of the ram and headed down river to a camp spot, getting there about dark. Emotions were running high from the dramatic ending to the hunt and having secured a beautiful ram from the wilderness! We were also very grateful for the way things turned out that day. Because of where the rams were, they were not visible to us until we had gone past them. We could have easily missed seeing them at all and we were able to pull up river enough to get a shot.

We had one more day on the river and it was a blast! This last section has lots of rapids, one right after another. They are loaded with big rocks and at low water they become very technical yet still have a few big waves. We made it through fine, and too soon we were at the confluence of the main Salmon. It had been a grand adventure. It truly was a dream hunt, but left me dreaming of going again somehow.

1643036732547.png
1643036793414.png

Last edited:
For some reason, the last of my story did not post so here goes;
We took care of the ram and headed down river to a camp spot, getting there about dark. Emotions were running high from the dramatic ending to the hunt and having secured a beautiful ram from the wilderness! We were also very grateful for the way things turned out that day. Because of where the rams were, they were not visible to us until we had gone past them. We could have easily missed seeing them at all and we were able to pull up river enough to get a shot.

We had one more day on the river and it was a blast! This last section has lots of rapids, one right after another. They are loaded with big rocks and at low water they become very technical yet still have a few big waves. We made it through fine, and too soon we were at the confluence of the main Salmon. It had been a grand adventure. It truly was a dream hunt, but left me dreaming of going again somehow.

View attachment 209940
View attachment 209941
Congrats, great hunt and story, I think I saw your final post over on the SE AK thread, must have posted it in the wrong spot.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back