A long short story about hog hunting.

bigtusker

I did a guided hunt last weekend, this is how it went.

Friday, the group is supposed to show up at 12:00. They show at 10:30. This put's a kink in my partners schedule. They are meeting him at his house and he's bringing them up to the ranch. So he rushes to finish things up at home and gets on the road. Of course, being in a rush, he forgots a few things, like gas for the jeep. Anyway, we hunt Friday till almost dark and see lots of nice bucks but no hogs. We go to the secret pond(Anaconda's Favorite) and sit. I could hear the hogs coming down the hill but didn't have a visual. Mark motioned to me that he could see something. He made his way over to one of the hunters and pointed out the hog for him. BOOM! 1 dead hog, 1 happy hunter, $500 to the taxidermist! Nice boar, 3 inch teeth!
Saturday, again lots of nice(horny)bucks but no pigs. Nothing in the morning and nothing in the afternoon. So again, we go to Anaconda's favorite pond just before dark. I spot 6 nice hogs, I'm figuring this should fill out all our tags and the hunt is done. WRONG! Does anybody know what happens when you pull the trigger on a weapon with a live round in the chamber? Right, it goes BANG! That it did and away went the piggies. 1 dead tree, no dead hogs, 4 unhappy hunters and 2 very unhappy guides! At least nobody got hurt! I think I might give up guiding.

Would those little walkie talkies help or be legal in California? There legal here and sometimes I've used them hunting with friends or guiding. We cover more ground and can still get together when there is a lot of game somewhere. I guess you would go, 1,2,3 shoot and all the hunters on the other end of them could shoot simultaneously. You'd have to coordinate who shoots what hog, like left to right or something. That's what I was imagining, otherwise, the first shot they all take off.

They would not have helped here. It was a simple case of mishandling the weapon. Fortunately, nobody was in front of him when it discharged. The 2 other hunters and my other guide thought he had shot at the pigs and they took off after them. It wasn't until later that they realized what happened. As for the radios, thay are legal in CA only to chat. Not legal to let others know where game is or assist in any way with taking game.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back