A little goes a long ways. (Marlin 336)

p_ham

This old gal was sent in by a HT member for a little love. The aftermarket lever wouldn't stay shut. The trigger was a stout 6lbs.
41E3C432-2E33-42F8-BD68-59C767C37381.jpeg

We added a recoil pad and knocked the gloss out of the wood finish and smoothed up the grip cap a little. A couple coats of p_ham's special blend wood finish made sure everything inside and out got sealed up.
20230731_150748.jpg

These rifles look so much better with their bolts either polished or jewelled.
20230731_150756.jpg

A fresh set of sights from Skinner

20230731_150902.jpg20230731_150914.jpg

I don't have a before picture, but somebody went girls gone wild on this screw and chewed it up pretty good. There's 3 different styles of band screw and it's a crapshoot if you'll get the right one. I opted to just fix this one.
20230731_151144.jpg

I didn't take any photos of the internals. All the contact areas got polished out, the trigger pull reduced to a nice 2.5lbs, and the lever catch had to be completely reshaped so it would stay shut.
20230731_151004.jpg

Hopefully this one stays in the family for a few more generations!

I like the looks of those Skinner sights. How do the guys who have them like them? I have a Marlin 1895 I keep thinking about having a few inches removed and a set of those sights installed

I like the looks of those Skinner sights. How do the guys who have them like them? I have a Marlin 1895 I keep thinking about having a few inches removed and a set of those sights installed
I have a set on a 336, work great but I did have to replace the front sight.

They're nice sights and they're very well made. Lots better than the modern Lyman junk. They're not target sights but they do great in the field.

That is some beautiful work. My 336 has been beat up and wounded more times than I can count. Bought it in '78 when in the service.

That is some beautiful work. My 336 has been beat up and wounded more times than I can count. Bought it in '78 when in the service.
Those old beat up guns can look really good with a bit of preservation! It's not a full blown resto, just a good cleaning, some fresh oil on the wood, and converting red rust to black oxide.

Back