Caribou Gear Tarp

A Financial break for Hunter Recruitment?

There are more good public land hunts in the southeast than people realize. I know of at least three states, one of which I live in, where anybody can buy a license and hunt deer and bear OTC. I think we need to explore promoting those opportunities along with small game everywhere as @Hunting Wife mentioned.
There's a big difference between hunting out west and hunting in the southeast. You don't have people waiting 5-10-15 years to draw a tag and paying hundreds or perhaps even thousands of $$ to go hunting in somebody's back.

To the OP. New hunters are not going to just decide to go hunting in the west because they read somewhere that they could pay resident fees. Some might decide to apply in multiple states because it is cheaper for them and clog the system up even more.
Also many states make a large percentage of their revenue from the much higher non-resident fees they charge. Where are you going to make up the difference?
There are already many more non-res hunters applying for tags than are available so why would states lose out on this revenue?

You have people competing for X number of tags for a limited resource that will not increase if you increase the number of hunters thus making even more difficult to draw a tag.

You say you're a Midwest hunter so with your idea you highlight the reason I keep saying non-resident hunters should have ZERO say in game management of any state.

If we are trying to recruit I would think you would pick something with an higher success rate. This is why you start kids out pan fishing instead of muskies.

I think a better focus would be something that can be done over a weekend or a evening/morning. Taking someone out west for a week long hunt VS being able to drive 30min and spend a few hrs. What is more likely that they will do on their own after say one year of mentoring?

If there's anything in this vein I do support is resident pricing for non-resident college students while enrolled in a state school/university

Very difficult to generalize like you have. Each state (in the West or otherwise) has to manage wildlife and fisheries in their own specific way based on each states individual goals. Wildlife management is the key to hunting opportunity so looking at "hunter populations" over the years is not necessarily the approach that dictates policy. It can be a tool and recruitment can be one way to up the numbers but my guess is even if you had low "hunter numbers" in any given state, the wildlife management situation will dictate the opportunities for that states hunters. I know for myself that if my state gave me the ability to purchase a 2nd or 3rd tag for X species I would surely be doing it every year. Wildlife management is the key to hunt opportunity, not number of hunters in my eyes. I could be totally wrong but that is my .02

There's a big difference between hunting out west and hunting in the southeast. You don't have people waiting 5-10-15 years to draw a tag and paying hundreds or perhaps even thousands of $$ to go hunting in somebody's
It's a big difference but not in price. You can pay big money out west for the trip, Tag or guided hunt or whatever pr east of the mississippi for the most part you'll be paying that same amount for a lease if you want a place to hunt for a lot of guys. That's what pushes them west if its gonna cost thousands of dollars they'd much rather spend it on a tag and have tons of public to hunt and get out and explore new country. At least that's what pushes me to do it, well that and the fact that I've been infatuated with the west since I was a small kid.

Alaska has several youth hunts...one for Dall sheep Aug 1-5 before the general opener on Aug. 10.

Also residents get a free hunting/fishing/trapping license at the age of 60
(along with our free over the counter sheep/goat/deer/moose/caribou/bear tags)

I’ll give you credit for your proposal although highly flawed it creates conversation . My problem with it is the instant gratification mentality of a lot of society expects. Nothing wrong with new hunters hunting what’s local to them like most longtime hunters did. Growing up in pa my hunting skills were honed on small game . Stalking squirrels taught me how to hunt deer. Same skill set just different size. Life didn’t allow me to hunt western states until I was 42 and I didn’t blame anybody or look for any special treatment. Worked hard raised family saved money and did what I could. I’m now retired and do pretty much what I want. I’m not against 3r but I get frustrated when everyone wants to start out as the CEO. plenty of options to hunt and learn in the eastern half of the country. Go learn pay your dues and if you want it bad enough you will find a way to get it done when LIFE allows.

We have all heard about R3; recruitment, retainment, and reactivation. These programs have not done a good job tracking their results so making a conclusion of the efficacy is difficult. However, as the number of hunting license sales decline if can be hypothesized we are only reaching those kids who come from a background/family of hunters. One R3 event is not enough to pull a child from a non-hunting family into the lifestyle. Parents don’t have disposable income, ample time, and may have their own competing interests. However, 18-25-year-olds have time, income, and the interest that may develop them into lifelong outdoor men and women.

I know we all compete for access and spots, but without lowering the barriers of entry we will soon find there are not enough of us to have a loud enough voice to protect what we love. I will quote Randy Newberg here and say, “the answer to public pressure is not less hunters, it is more access.”

Curious to hear peoples thoughts on this idea. I know that it would likely worsen draw odds with more applicants applying, but would improve hunting numbers in the long run and help support keeping wild places wild.
Vacation elk hunting doesn't do anything to further R3.

IMHO R3 should focus purely on urban metros in the east and south.
Reactivation-> get old hunters out
Retainment -> system that keeps them invested
recruitment-> first time hunters that would never have found it themselves

What about a new eastern/south rod and gun club model. Org leases a bunch of land in GA/WV/PA/NY then sets up hunting weekends. Get folks that don't hunt much any more to act as mentors to new folks, help them do Hunters ED, then take them on the leased private land hunting. As the program grows lease more properties. Focus on small game, let people graduate to deer. Lots of waterfowl + upland.

Literally set up vans that pick up people in NYC, drive them west, get them on a property. Once those folks have done it a few times let them be the mentors and keep it going.

The point isn't to make a bunch of people elk hunters, hell it isn't to even make them good hunters, it's to get a lot of people who aren't in any way involved with the outdoors back out in them or in them for the first time.

Last edited:
Vacation elk hunting doesn't do anything to further R3.

IMHO R3 should focus purely on urban metros in the east and south.
Reactivation-> get old hunters out
Retainment -> system that keeps them invested
recruitment-> first time hunters that would never have found it themselves

What about a new eastern/south rod and gun glub model. Orgs leases a bunch of land in GA/WV/PA/NY then sets up hunting weekends. Get folks that don't hunt much any more to act as mentors to new folks, help them do Hunters ED, then take them on the leased private land hunting. As the program grows lease more properties. Focus on small game, let people graduate to deer. Lots of waterfowl + upland.

Literally set up vans that pick up people in NYC, drive them west, get them on a property. Once those folks have done it a few times let them be the mentors and keep it going.

The point isn't to make a bunch of people elk hunters, hell it isn't to even make them good hunters, it's to get a lot of people who aren't in any way involved with the outdoors back out in them or in them for the first time.

Would like this more than once if possible. I think this is such a good idea it makes me feel obligated to one day facilitate it or something like it in my area.

Great. We don't need anymore hunters. We need hikers, kayakers, campers, sightseers and birdwatchers and shit. mtmuley

Great. We don't need anymore hunters. We need hikers, kayakers, campers, sightseers and birdwatchers and shit. mtmuley
We need people who vote to understand that firearms are tools, to have shot them, and to feel a tie to the hunting community.

A lot of hikers/kayakers/campers etc have made a decision about hunting already. I bet if you ask 90% of people hiking on a trail outside of Bozeman about hunting they have an opinion, some for some against.

I doubt many people in Atlanta, NYC, DC, etc have ever thought about it.

There is a massive divide that sometimes is just difficult to really convey... for the majority of the US population, staying in an RV in Yellowstone is a huge deal and a big wilderness experience.

Last edited:
I doubt many people in Atlanta, NYC, DC, etc have ever thought about it.

I'll do you one better. I got my undergrad alongside a ton of kids who grew up metro Atlanta. The far-and-away most common response I would get from then when they found out I hunted was "That's cool, my grandad/uncle/older male relative used to hunt."

Across all other factors, people were almost never directly familiar with it but 1) related it to some older relative and 2) reacted in a generally positive way.

A lot of those types would try it and like it if given half an opportunity IMO

I'll do you one better. I got my undergrad alongside a ton of kids who grew up metro Atlanta. The far-and-away most common response I would get from then when they found out I hunted was "That's cool, my grandad/uncle/older male relative used to hunt."

Across all other factors, people were almost never directly familiar with it but 1) related it to some older relative and 2) reacted in a generally positive way.

A lot of those types would try it and like it if given half an opportunity IMO
Exactly!

I think the idea (at least the way I look at it) would be to get people back east, down south, wherever getting more engaged and then advocating to create and improve outdoor recreation and hunting opportunities locally, so they don’t necessarily have to come out here to have those opportunities.

I think there could actually be some traction for that even in the current political climate.

I think the idea (at least the way I look at it) would be to get people back east, down south, wherever getting more engaged and then advocating to create and improve outdoor recreation and hunting opportunities locally, so they don’t necessarily have to come out here to have those opportunities.

I think there could actually be some traction for that even in the current political climate.
That would be awesome, unfortunately your going to need a LOT more public land out here. How does that become available? Not disagreeing I just dont see it happening

That would be awesome, unfortunately your going to need a LOT more public land out here. How does that become available? Not disagreeing I just dont see it happening
Who says it has to be public? RMEF buys land, PF buys land, non profits buy land, states all over the west run private land programs which are highly popular with hunters coming from out of state. Not saying it would be easy, but it is certainly not unprecedented.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back