MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A few better bulls

drahthaar

Sorry, I am bored. I was excited to get some more mature bulls this time. Right by my house no less.

download002.jpg

download087.jpg

download050-Copy.jpg

Thats some good stock for next year, hope they make the winter.

Thats some good stock for next year, hope they make the winter.

The only thing stopping these guys from making it will be some a-hole with a rifle. There was a big blast that came from where these elk come and go from the other day. Hopefully I get them all again on cam.

Wow. Those are some nice looking critters. Thanks for posting them. You seeing any nice deer?

Haven't really. But they have pretty much all dropped. My buddy found a couple sheds. Typical "Flathead four points".

Did hear just the other day that a guy arrowed a whitie coming and going from his neighbors orchard during the rifle season, it may be close to the new state P&Y typical record. That was just southeast of my house. Haven't seen it, so I am half skeptical, you all know how that goes.

Here is a bull I could glass over in Glacier Park. All alone, but a few mulies hanging around him. Watched him for an hour hoping there was a bachelor group, but he was it.

Tried the blackberry against the spotter, seemed to work OK.

winterelk.jpg

winterelk2.jpg

Good pics! Wish I was smart enough to follow your homebrew trail camera set up. They seem to be a good set up for a trail camera. Those first couple pictures look cold!

Good pics! Wish I was smart enough to follow your homebrew trail camera set up. They seem to be a good set up for a trail camera. Those first couple pictures look cold!

LOL. Looks are deceiving. Has to be one of the warmest Jan on record. My road has melted down to bare gravel 3x this winter. Its unreal, and I ain't complaining. Winter started off like "oh crap", but when its 40 degrees during the day and 33 at night for a week at a time, it really helps wintering game. We are really getting away with one here. Feb and March could go the other way though too, but not likely.

I hate going and glassing those days when its below zero, and you see those critters out there. Every movement looks like pain.

You can see that last red antlered bull, just soaked. Raining and raining.

The only thing stopping these guys from making it will be some a-hole with a rifle. There was a big blast that came from where these elk come and go from the other day. Hopefully I get them all again on cam.

I went for a pretty good hike yesterday and couldn't believe it. In the two weeks I was gone it went from 16 inches of hard pack on the south facing hills to dry dirt on all but the dark canyons and north facing stuff. They should have lots of feed for energy to outrun the wolves. Hope it stays rainy and warm til August.

Lots of moisture in the Upper Root too. The wintering areas look good and the snow levels are next to nothing there. It's hard to find cat tracks a times. Plenty of wolf tracks now that season has progressed.

Where these elk are, we have only seen 1 lone wolf track. Came right down, really close to people, then back up the mountain. My buddy took his snowcat, up the roads in the area on NF, found zero sign of wolves. One big lion track, it killed a mulie buck the previous night, drug it down and buried it. He got creeped out, lol, figured that lion was just watching him. All in all, really good conditions. He said there was lots of elk and muley tracks. Said only 10 inches of snow where they were. He ran into a bunch all bedded down. He just turned around and got out as not to stress them out, he said they didn't even get up.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back