PEAX Equipment

A Dream Becomes Reality

Since you will have had the perfect 1st class experience to provide expert opinion, what is the difference between moose meat and caribou? I've only had one of them.

Had to read it a couple times and will probably read it again, sounds like an incredible experience in some magnificent country. Congratulations on some great looking animals 👍

This is probably the best write up I’ve seen to date, eloquently written, it was like a romance novel for a hunter. It makes me yearn for that country and what it has to offer. It is a love affair we have with wild places and the and wildlife that inhabit them. Thanks for taking us along and congratulations on a great adventure Randy, if anyone deserves it it’s you. Congrats. Also kudos to Marcus for taking photos to match the writing, felt like I was there.

I am so glad you enjoyed our country and your trip. I hope you come visit us again real soon. I am very glad you were able to fulfill your life long dream hunt, congratulations ! You need to ask your wife what her dream trip is and when time and finances allow, take her. Again congratulations on your hunt.

Brent, I didn't see where Big Fin answered your question, so I will take a stab at it. Remember everyones taste buds are different however as well as the manner in which the meat is prepared age of the animal, etc. Caribou in the Alpine in Aug is very good, but Caribou in Rut is almost inedible . Moose, a fork horn or young cow is very very good. This is our preference, plus we get a lot more meat from the moose than the caribou. But of course, we feel that muskox, bison and lynx is even better than Moose.

Big Fin, I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed reading about your adventure. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us, and again congratulations .

What did you bring, or are having shipped, back to you ?

Man, just read through the remainder of this. Stories like this are dangerous to my marriage health and budget lol. Alaska moose with my dad is truly a bucket list item. Looks like BC moose would fit the ticket as well. I figure I have +/- 10 years (before dad turns 65) to make it a reality. Gotta get working . . .

What an incredible adventure. Randy, I would say you are the luckiest guy in the world, but I know how hard you have worked to create opportunities like this for yourself. But you sure did luck out on your wife! Her support and encouragement were amazing. As someone said above, you need to find out what her dream trip is and make it happen now.
Marcus, your cámara work is masterful. The quality and composition of you stills are absolutely top notch. I can’t wait to watch it all unfold.
Well done and congratulations gentlemen.

I am so glad you enjoyed our country and your trip. I hope you come visit us again real soon. I am very glad you were able to fulfill your life long dream hunt, congratulations ! You need to ask your wife what her dream trip is and when time and finances allow, take her. Again congratulations on your hunt.

Brent, I didn't see where Big Fin answered your question, so I will take a stab at it. Remember everyones taste buds are different however as well as the manner in which the meat is prepared age of the animal, etc. Caribou in the Alpine in Aug is very good, but Caribou in Rut is almost inedible . Moose, a fork horn or young cow is very very good. This is our preference, plus we get a lot more meat from the moose than the caribou. But of course, we feel that muskox, bison and lynx is even better than Moose.

Big Fin, I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed reading about your adventure. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us, and again congratulations .

What did you bring, or are having shipped, back to you ?

The rationale for driving was to bring back as much meat as possible. Under the topper I had a freezer that was filled with moose meat (unprocesssed) and three 65-quart Orion coolers that were able to handle the caribou, fully processed. To go on such a cherished hunt and not have a winter supply of meat to share with others seems to be a shortcut, even if it was 32 hours of windshield time each direction.

And, driving did allow me to bring back the antlers for a euro mount moose and the antlers and cape for a shoulder mount caribou. With all the production gear we need, driving is far easier and often less expensive.

We have eaten the tenderloins from both, while out at camp. They were excellent, as should be expected. Today we are doing a caribou roast. I will have a report on that, soon.

As for a few other questions that I saw while reading comments; my moose is 56" without the tine that was shot off. Jim's was 62". The provincial wildlife agent who looked at my moose and caribou confirmed what the guides told me; these are once-in-a-lifetime specimens. I'm not real big on scores, but I will have both of them officially measured, having been assured that they will easily exceed the minimums.

Yes, I lucked out in marriage, as some have noted. We have long been planning Kim's dream trip, though her modesty and frugality make it harder for her to spend a chunk of money to travel to Ireland and Scandinavia just to be a tourist. Hopefully she will get over that frugality for a short period. I stand ready to join her on whatever trip she dreams of. Or, if she wants to take her sister, I'm happy to pay for that, also.

and that my fellow forum mates is the ultimate way to define a good husband, a good wife, a good marriage

my hats off to both you and your wife sir.

And by the way, you will also enjoy Ireland and the Scandavania countries, they are beautiful

What a great thread, hunt and thank you Mr AND Mrs Big Fin, lets not forget she kept pushing him to go--and he did. Love it!

p.s. another plus to driving, you saw some different and beautiful country

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back