A deer hanging in camp

My dad drew a buck tag this year. 061 to 068. We hunted out of Wilson reservoir in 066. He had permission for some private.

He said from the beginning he was going to shoot any legal buck.

We arrived in camp Tuesday. Got set up and went scouting that evening. We found a group of deer in a place he could hunt.

I found the group at first light opening day. They were still moving, so we did a loop around to see if there were any more he could get an opportunity at. The group had a 4x4 and 3 smaller bucks in it.

We then went back around and watched the deer work into a patch of willows about 200 yards from where we could get him. I was able to park the truck about 125 yards from where he could sit down.

After a few minutes, deer started working their way around the willow patch. First 3 does, then the huck he killed.

He missed the first shot, but the buck stayed still not realizing where we were.

The second shot connected, he did a short sprint, spun in a circle and tipped over in less than 10 seconds.

Shot was about 200 yards. 243 with Federal 95 grain BT. Worked last year and did its job this year as well.

Since he can't walk far, I went down, punched the tag, gutted it and drug it up to him.

We were back at camp by 10, got him quartered and into a cooler.

Just enjoyed the rest of the day.

Breaking down camp today then will help my father in law and daughter on their hunts.View attachment 243103View attachment 243104View attachment 243105View attachment 243106View attachment 243107View attachment 243108
I ain't gonna hide it or blame it on allergies, this got me a lil misty eyed. The Old Man 76 years old, heart attack, a stroke, neuropathy in his feet, diabetic, and he still has the drive to go out. Im hoping that he gets a chance to hunt on some private for a cow elk this year, I have to check in after Thanksgiving to see if its a go. I hope I get to see the smile on his face like the one on your dad's. Not trying to to take anything away from you or your dad, this story really hit home in a happy way

This is such an awesome memory you made while reliving nostalgia lane. Thank you so much for sharing! congrats to you and your dad on a great hunt.

If y'all can't get excited about that...time to hang up the rifles and the wool.

Congrats to you dad and kudos to you on a fantastic hunt.

That is awesome! Congrats to you and your dad! That doe has a beautiful hide and a double white thread patch to boot. Your camp setting looks gorgeous and I'm glad you could enjoy several days of just "kicking it" with your dad with a nice deer hanging on the meat pole.

Back