MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

A couple Roosevelt pics

Cool pics! Fun to see stuff that's so foreign.

Meat bucks as a tcam name, that's awesome!

I had nothing to do with this Rosi. A friend of a friend took the pick, sent it to me. Bull was killed opening day last year in the same kind of ground pictured above

what state was that Oregon or Washington ? that bull is a Prehistoric GIANT !!! seems like out here those giant bulls like that are as elusive and as nocturnal as a big mature Blacktail. there hard to even get on a trail camera

some times we use electric bikes Or hiking around for scouting, but scouting here is more about learning the country in case we end up hunting elk in the area so we are familiar with , looking for elk sign and past bull rutting activity in an area , Roosevelt’s don’t migrate , or have a summer range or winter range that I can tell , there in the same general area year round , sometimes you would think that locked gates and walk in or bike in access would have more Roosevelts in a certain area and at times I’ve seen just the opposite there’s hardly any elk in an area that has no drive in access and loggers only In the gates and then go to an area where I can unlock the gate and drive in and the elk are in there all the time I have no idea why that is or why they prefer some areas over others regardless of access or people. Amazing animals and I enjoy being out with them.

d71eaf02-a9de-4adf-8ca8-c7b2b7f83da8-jpeg.150003

B3BBA35D-5F10-46E5-B5D7-E8F7232AA5C1.jpeg
8D325CF1-6D58-4005-8294-215FA0A2FBAE.jpeg
30FA3CD9-480C-4FF4-9C32-C1F4326D1C99.jpeg

Attachments

• D71EAF02-A9DE-4ADF-8CA8-C7B2B7F83DA8.jpeg
    D71EAF02-A9DE-4ADF-8CA8-C7B2B7F83DA8.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
So legitimate question from a new prospective elk hunter with genuine ignorance overall...How applicable are these early season photos to actual hunting season? Would one expect to find these around this same location or is this more of a data gathering as to what is in the unit as a whole vs this particular spot?

Am acting as a sponge and trying absorb as much information on the subject that i can! with most of my experience being with whitetail, i know that trail cam photos can tell a whole different story from species to species. thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

So legitimate question from a new prospective elk hunter with genuine ignorance overall...How applicable are these early season photos to actual hunting season? Would one expect to find these around this same location or is this more of a data gathering as to what is in the unit as a whole vs this particular spot?

Am acting as a sponge and trying absorb as much information on the subject that i can! with most of my experience being with whitetail, i know that trail cam photos can tell a whole different story from species to species. thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.

For us it’s 2 fold , it’s about having fun and trying to get a pic of a big mature bull , and seeing what survived last season, or when we put a camera in a new area , just seeing what creeping around in that area. Roosevelt’s are territorial and don’t migrate like Rocky Mtn Elk . There’s areas in the coast range where I can go and the elk will be in the same area year round.

If we like a bull that shows up on camera , and we will hunt that area knowing he’s gonna be in the area Somewhere and we might get a chance at him , even thou Hunting pressure and the rut will move them around, these bulls will live in the same area year round , and I know I will never learn all there secrets, but I enjoy the encounters and like to watch there behavior, In the off season I will spend more time in that area learning everything that’s around , I look for elk trails , rubs from prior seasons , recent elk activity, etc , Roosevelt bulls will Rub the same tree and trees in the same area year after year , I will look for herd Activity, etc .

It’s about getting intel , I enjoy learning and spending time in the woods, and we try to get pics of the elk we encounter when we can and share some of those pics with the hunttalk crew .

I might have a target bull that I’m hunting for but if I get a chance to harvest something different I won’t pass it up . As for Rocky mtn elk , ive never hunted them so I can’t talk to what there behaviors are , I know there is some slight differences, like they migrate from summer to winter grounds . But maybe someone who hunts them and spends time in the territory could further elaborate

Way back when I used to hunt the coast range. One September my friend and I hunted the same area three weeks in a row. There was a big bull and his cows that we saw every week in the same drainage but never got a shot. Then in December there was an archery, cow only, hunt. We went back and I shot a cow early on the first day so my friend was pretty much hunting alone the rest of the week while I kept the camp fire warm and the beer cool. He was down in that drainage when he climbed up onto a big Doug Fir blowdown. That bull was sound asleep on the other side of the blowdown. Curled up like a tired puppy dog just couple of feet under my friends feet. He thought about seeing what would happen if he touched the elk but then thought better of it. The next September we were back and there was that same bull in the same drainage every time we went. On the last day of the season I did get a shot on him. I guess I should have practiced more shooting down a steep hill because I missed badly. The point of my story is that that particular elk never seemed to go anywhere outside his small little home area.

0B0C855B-0369-43A3-9DEE-585A4B238405.jpegOpening weekend came and went , I had a good encounter with a 6x6 bull in the evening opening day , 160yds was all the closer I got , Was in a little over knee-high to waist high grass , cows all around him. I was able to relocate the herd this morning but they winded me and I never did find them again but it was a pretty cool encounter nonetheless. And the weekend ended with one in our crew getting a 6x5 , I was a hunting solo this weekend and everyone else was 20 some miles away so I never got the call for the help on

even thou this pic is blurry , it does a good job showing the size of the bulls antlers
97DA048D-58B5-4677-AF12-A3B7093BE3D4.png

Mitch and his 6x5
A10CBDA5-5D19-418B-84FE-BFE18C188A34.jpeg

7FF55477-582A-4B61-87EE-13D467590C37.jpeg

the crew on the pack out
2BD18819-CBDE-4966-ADEC-E35BE1F26E16.jpeg

Had a good 2 days chasing Rosies , had Sunday , Monday off , Got to put a stock on two young bulls 4 x 4 and a 3 x 2 , Sunday evening and got within 70 yards of them and then they fed away and I couldn’t get any closer just due to the terrain they went about 85 - 90 yards out and I blew a couple Cow calls and they come running back to 70 yards and then stood there for five minutes and then turned around and went back the other way I was hoping the cow calls might get them to start feeding towards me and just didn’t work out. Sunday I got to bugle with an elk for the first time this year in we exchange bugles for about 20 minutes , never got him to commit and he ended up taking off the other way , due to the thickness in the terrain I didn’t give Chase. Had a bowl show up on the first wall of the year I found and got a couple pictures of a nice six point I had to adjust the lighting to get the bowl to come through because it was so dark on the camera but anyways are you guys
55961747-E96B-42D5-9911-CEE5051D3C4E.jpeg
A3FF3749-8619-4269-9A14-836D22741155.jpeg
D4E7EAA7-5B6F-4556-8469-7ECAD4C5C537.jpeg
and then KID ROCK showed up on my camera , who knew he bow hunted. And another guy was on the camera also so I pulled this one due to the high volume of hunters in that area and then I found a little metal that had three wallows in it the next day but I already hung my camera I pulled in a different area so I got a highway to hell in there and sAnd another guy was on the camera also so I pulled this one due to the high volume of hunters in that area and then I found a little meadow that had three wallows in it , And from everything I found in that area I don’t expect anyone to show up on it not the way I was getting traffic on the other one so I’m gonna try to move a camera in there in the next week.

512D6C74-2EAB-4448-81E0-BB0DBA4BFED9.jpeg

the new Wallows
DD6CEC33-B32A-4724-B7E5-DA4C4DD9FA1A.jpeg

FCC5EAC9-7D80-41BE-BCA6-9C9F3A01F7AB.jpeg
8542A991-6633-4348-981C-5EFEDE3F5B0A.jpeg
06062C76-9FE4-4F9F-913D-1B0C8A7E0872.jpeg
59EE81CE-9831-4E71-8F2D-FF8D847472D9.jpeg4FFC34F2-AFE6-44BC-B8CF-8BB9255D4F01.pngB6E9CE49-50BC-4F52-BB2C-68B1AE46A0B2.jpegB5F07763-8389-4CDA-81FF-2BF80947BB68.jpeg
For some reason it won’t let me post my trail cam pics , it says file to large , so I’m left screen shorting them 😤

this was my buddy John last night , he did a little mini bugle and a calf and yearling charged out of the woods and ran up to him and stood there for 15 min he said at 16 yards , so he took a pic with his cell phone , then he could hear brush snapping farther behind these 2 and could hear the rest of the herd come up , but it was to dark by then so he backed out , I’m headed up this morning to try to relocate the group
E10869E4-5090-4123-9731-2B444A6CD574.png

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back