Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

A "common sense" proposal that will piss off both sides

I appreciate your response and honesty. But the only right you feel comfortable restricting, of the ones being discussed is the only one that is specifically protected by the constitution.
If a person actually reads the constitution and the 225 years of judicial interpretation of that constitution one will understand every right is subject to restriction and therefore discussing any one of those rights will include restrictions on "one that is specifically protected". This "drop the mic" take is meaningless in any intelligent, earnest discussion.

Hey, it’s me, the weekend again! Won’t you please join me for some fishing or outdoor recreation? The internet squabbling will be here Monday when you get back to your office. No constitutional amendments will happen via HT. However, with some sun and R&R this weekend you may finally be able to successfully argue your view on a forum, or maybe not and we repost this next Friday.

There is a difference between sincere questions and "what about-isms" and self-perceived "gotchas" - I choose to distinguish between them.
I'm just bringing up another side of the mental health discussion that nobody wants to discuss. I'm all for keeping weapons out of the hands of dangerous people. Dangerous people are dangerous people. If we think someone is dangerous enough to shoot up a school I don't think they should be driving through the school zone.

Read the OP but do not have the time to read all 39 pages of responses.

I do like a lot of the proposals. The control of marijuana caught my interest. My father way back in the early 1980s was saying, "Legalize marijuana and tax it to death." This from a man that abhorred its actual use personally.

The firearms related ideas, I can see the logic in them.

The issue is like American culture in general we have a 2 sided mentality in this country that makes finding middle ground hard as hell, black/white, red/blue, team a/team b. There is not tolerance for the grey areas.

The environmental issues is a prime example to compare to the 2A issue. All or nothing. Gasoline vs. electric. Green vs. fossil fuel. Not much discussion about hydrogen and biofuels. No one wants to discuss nuclear. 2A debate similar, it is very two sided and not much discussion on the grey.

Nobody is calling for antiquated "torture chambers". It was a simple question. if someone deemed so dangerous that they should not be around firearms, should they have access to an F250 or an ax or numerous any other item that could be used as a weapon?

What does my F250 have to do with it lol.

Hey, it’s me, the weekend again! Won’t you please join me for some fishing or outdoor recreation? The internet squabbling will be here Monday when you get back to your office. No constitutional amendments will happen via HT. However, with some sun and R&R this weekend you may finally be able to successfully argue your view on a forum, or maybe not and we repost this next Friday.
I think the next thread needs to be about conspiracy theory's. Have some fun with it. haha

Read the OP but do not have the time to read all 39 pages of responses.

I do like a lot of the proposals. The control of marijuana caught my interest. My father way back in the early 1980s was saying, "Legalize marijuana and tax it to death." This from a man that abhorred its actual use personally.

The firearms related ideas, I can see the logic in them.

The issue is like American culture in general we have a 2 sided mentality in this country that makes finding middle ground hard as hell, black/white, red/blue, team a/team b. There is not tolerance for the grey areas.

The environmental issues is a prime example to compare to the 2A issue. All or nothing. Gasoline vs. electric. Green vs. fossil fuel. Not much discussion about hydrogen and biofuels. No one wants to discuss nuclear. 2A debate similar, it is very two sided and not much discussion on the grey.

First of all, are you my son from the future???? I'm a dad from the right now but I've been saying that for ages now too lol.

Second of all, I appreciate and agree with your last two paragraphs and want to add a particular caveat. One of the primary issues in our 24/7 news cycle, instant gratification, social media driven world is that neither side really wants what is is best, only what APPEARS to be the best. You environmental issue is a prime example and has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. Support solar power, wind farms, etc. SHOWS OTHERS that you really care, but it's not the best solution due to land use, wildlife casualties, etc. Supporting nuclear doesn't SHOW OTHERS that you are super environmental personhero.

2A debates are similar. Banning AR's and other scary black guns SHOWS OTHERS that you're really compassionate and care about kids, but it only takes a really small piece of the gun violence pie. On the other hand, many, many (many, many) staunch 2A supporters haven't really addressed @VikingsGuy comments on the mental health crisis plaguing much of the country and how that plays into the much bigger piece of the gun violence pie (suicides, etc.) Showing willingness to give up a small piece our play toy liberties (realistically how most guns are probably used) for the greater human good doesn't SHOW OTHERS that we're committed to our staunch, narrow minded, 2A mindset.

Add rampant narcissism to all groups involved in the above and you get some ugly scenarios.

When channel surfing on television, I often land on some sort of history channel. WWII is a subject that nearly always catches my interest. Maybe because my father and all of my uncles served during that war. I want to get an idea of what they went thru. Only in the last year or so of my father's life did he tell me much of what he did and saw.

One image that sears the horror of Hitler's Germany into my mind is the images from the concentration camps.

Well, an editorial written by Jeh Johnson in the Washington Post suggests it is time for the American public to see the actual images that result from mass killings in schools etc. Frankly we do need to see exactly what has happened. They are images every survivor of a mass killing carries with them the rest of their lives. It surely scars them the same way war scars so many soldiers.

I'm just bringing up another side of the mental health discussion that nobody wants to discuss. I'm all for keeping weapons out of the hands of dangerous people. Dangerous people are dangerous people. If we think someone is dangerous enough to shoot up a school I don't think they should be driving through the school zone.
Two points. One, mental health was a meaningful portion of OP so it is something I am interested in discussing. Two, if you have points to offer then make them directly and not via shaded rhetorical questions.

Last edited:
I offer the following as appropriate in my mind for a hunting forum given the important role firearms have in hunting, the overlap between hunters and broader "shooting enthusiasts", and my faith in the broad judgment and experience of the HT community. Please keep this civil and please avoid generic anti-Dem/anti-GOP tropes.

I am a 2A proponent consistent with the boundaries of Heller. That being, a person has a 2A right to bear arms for, among other reasons, personal protection. At the same time, like every one of the rights guaranteed under our Constitution, certain carefully crafted regulation is possible.

As such, I grow weary of one side repackaging their wish list as "common sense", and equally grow weary of the other side pointing out all the social ills that are the "real root of violence" but then not funding any programs to address those ills.

In my view, "common-sense" legislation implicitly requires some degree of compromise - a move by both sides to the middle. So, while I know there are folks that will pan each and every idea I suggest below, I do believe if enacted together they could make a meaningful difference in gun violence and suicide while minimizing the overall net effects on the vast majority of gun owners.

----
These are in no particular order
  • Universal Background Checks for all transfers, sales or conveyances - the only exceptions are (i) for parent to child in presence of parent, (ii) parent to child for hunting where both are participants, (iii) hunting/shooting partner/instructor to partner/student at range or when hunting and (iv) to/from FFL holder
  • If after three days the check is not cleared, it can be extended an additional 30 days, but if the individual is eventually cleared, the govt will give them a 25% rebate on the purchase price for the 30 day hassle/delay
  • The Fed govt will continue to invest in improved background check databases and functionality
  • A fully funded and staffed system for timely restoration of firearms rights for anyone who has not committed a crime where they shot another person and is otherwise deemed safe/rehabilitated

• Self-made firearms may not be made by any person who is inelligible to purchase under the Universal Background Check criterea
  • Self-made firearms may not be sold/transferred/conveyed to any other person without proper serialization

• Fed funds provided to states/local govt for law enforcement, prisons, and emergency medical services will be subject to active enforcement, prosecution and sentencing of existing firearms laws.

• Federal red flag system using due process standards similar to civil commitment with timely and reliable return of firearms after the situation no longer supports continued "committment" status
  • Strong criminal penalties for misuse of red flag system by those initiating the action

• NFA rules around SBR/shotgun length/supressors/etc are gone - a firearm is a firearm, size, shape, and color have no impact on regulation other than a continued minimum metal requirement

• Fully automatic firearms (FAF) are illegal for any person other than military in course of duties
  • Current lawful NFA stamp owners have two years to surrender or render inoperable a current FAF - confirmation of such will generate refund of $200 tax stamp fee and $1,000 for weapon value
  • Parts used to assist a non-FAF to perform without independent, discrete and intentional trigger pulls are illegal - bump stocks, forced reset triggers, Glock full auto sear, etc,

• Federal pre-emption for all licensing, permiting, safety and other regulation of firearms

• No state/local/federal firearm registration database

• Continued immunity for firearm/ammo manufacturers/sellers/gunsmith for actions by users provided they are FFL compliant - but they remain liable for manufacturing defects/etc

• Some type of reasonable safe storage requirement when lawful owner is not present

• Banks, credit card companies, and internet companies operating under the Section 230 safe harbor may not discriminate against firearms/ammo manufacturers/sellers/users

• A national carry permit (not just concealed) - basic training class + simple range test + background check - renewed every 10 years - this would be offered in addition to whatever state permits are provided

• The federal govt will regulate marijuana in the same manner it regulates alcohol

• The federal govt will grant clemency and expungement for all marijuana convictions

• The federal govt will provide additional economic development grants to states that also grant clemency and expungement for all marijuana convictions

• All sales of alcohol, marijuana, firearms, ammunition, ammunition reloading supplies, and firearm accessories will be subject to a nationwide 5% sales tax
  • All profits of social media companies with more than 1 million users in the US shall be subject to a 10% surcharge
  • All current federal funds allocated to marijuana enforcement will be carried over to this new fund
  • All sales of illegal drugs will be taxed via a 25% income tax surcharge to be collected by the IRS (I know there will be little collected, but heck it got Capone ;))
  • These cumulative funds would then be matched dollar for dollar by federal general funds
  • 50% of these funds will go improvement of mental health services/systems nationwide, including suicide prevention programs
  • 50% of these funds will go to high gun violence zip codes to fund additional economic development, mental health, education and police services in equal measure
What do you think should be done about the hard drugs?

Two points. One, mental health was a meaningful portion of OP so it is something I am interested in discussing. Two, if you have points to offer then make them directly and not via shaded rhetorical questions.
Out of everything you suggested which one do you think will stop gun violence?
Age restrictions on ar 15s? Most gun violence is with a handgun and the age requirements are already 21
Background checks? We already perform those.

For those that forgot we have a basic human right to defend ourselves. The government doesn't grant us that right.

Just mind blowing how many people are ready to give up this or that just for some warm and fuzzy feeling that they did something when none of it will change anything. Real change would come from more fathers in the house. More morality being taught. Less victom mentality. Placing the blame where it belongs.

Oh you can pick heroin off a plant? Has there been millions of people locked up and thier lives ruined for growing poppies in America?

My point was it is derived from a plant, not an endorsement for it.

Out of everything you suggested which one do you think will stop gun violence?
Age restrictions on ar 15s? Most gun violence is with a handgun and the age requirements are already 21
Background checks? We already perform those.

For those that forgot we have a basic human right to defend ourselves. The government doesn't grant us that right.

Just mind blowing how many people are ready to give up this or that just for some warm and fuzzy feeling that they did something when none of it will change anything. Real change would come from more fathers in the house. More morality being taught. Less victom mentality. Placing the blame where it belongs.
The components I suggested that would have the most impact on violence in my opinion are the mental health and economic funding items. Gun violence (suicide and handgun crime which are the bulk) is mostly a reflection of a lack of hope/opportunity. I said nothing about age restrictions.

A lot of my suggestions are clean-ups/process improvements to the current mess of a system. But, I now agree with some of the posters on this thread, that replacing purchase point background check with nationwide permit would be more efficient yet. I said nothing about AR-specific restrictions or age rules.

As for fathers in the house, I am not sure the data supports it - and there are plenty of men that are best not in the house.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back