A Birdy Question

DRAFTSTUD

Oak or Mtmiller, As I sat in my stand this weekend watching the many species of birds, Blur Birds, Finches ect. I noticed that whenever they landed on a limber limb that their body acted like an accordian, while their heads stayed still. Is this to keep them aware of preadators or to keep an eye out for food? Any Ideas? Thanks, John

Was it a bobbing motion? I always thought that was a means of changing their perspective ever so slightly to gain some depth perception. I am not an ornithologist or bioligist by any means, so I'll let the experts answer now. :D

I'm not Miller or Oak and didn't pay as much attention in Ornithology as I should have, but I did just page through my Ornithology text trying to answer this and came up with a little. There was a little on landing behavior and it mostly dealt with how they postion and use there body in landing. What it basically said was the movements a bird makes in landing are to deal with center of gravity. So I would say they essentially were just absorbing the movement of the branch and the associated movements were/are a compensation to keep balanced. I realize this is kind of wordy and not real specific, but it makes sense, to me anyways. Hopefull Oak or Miller can add some more.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back