MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

8yr starting out shooting

What distance are you guys sighting in your .22lr for an 8 year old with a scope… asking for my 9 year old. 😂
When my daughter started shooting, the closest target at the local public range was at 25 yards. We initially used balloons as targets. She still mainly shoots reactive targets such as a dueling tree or clay pigeons. She doesn’t have any trouble hitting clay pigeons at 300 yards with her Tikka 223 now.

8475D79B-A40D-4B9A-B13F-F2B6BB09B742.jpeg

When my daughter started shooting, the closest target at the local public range was at 25 yards. We initially used balloons as targets. She still mainly shoots reactive targets such as a dueling tree or clay pigeons. She doesn’t have any trouble hitting clay pigeons at 300 yards with her Tikka 223 now.

View attachment 214019
Ok, that’s just damn cute.

I say go scope, so he can learn to shoot proficiently. I also say irons because nobody should be deprived of such

Let them learn with what you expect them to use...
My Grandaughter started at age 6, with my 10/22 open sights till she knew what she was looking at through my binoculars. That was a game-changer.
She is now is 12 and a death dealer. We shoot many 100's of rounds a summer and she hunts all winter with me at 12 she has taken MANY big mule deer most adults would envy. Gopher hunting with a scoped 10/22, and 22 pistols with a red dot. Prairie dogs, coyote, and deer with here Custom 6.5 Grendel Howa mini action. It has a Burris droptine 4X14 on it.
The gun must fit! They MUST be comfortable with the recoil.
Do it right and they will shoot better and forever.
Both my kids and their spouses hunt and shoot with me, there 45 and 43 both have shot since they were 6.

It doesnt hurt to know how to shoot iron sights but chances are he will be using a scope on his first centerfire hunting rifle and will use a scope of every other hunting rifle he ever hunts with so if it was me I would get a decent scope on what he is shooting now and get on with it.

Haha I applaud everyone for doing it right and making it comfortable for there kids . One of my earliest memories of me shooting a real gun my old man threw a Carhart over a 5 gallon bucket as my rest and gave me the classic inside out beer box target . Bolt .22 mag . No hearing protection . Didn’t bother me a bit . Was begging to shoot it again days later I’m sure .

We did the same thing started out with a single shot 22lr open sights, then he got a Ruger American 22lr with a scope, I would always take a 22-250 or something small and he would shoot it a couple times, I think the best thing was to get reactive targets so he would see instant results, the plastic/rubber targets that bounce around or clay pigeons on the ground are good too....gotta make it fun. 😉 I miss those days....

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back