Caribou Gear Tarp

8 minute deer boning

Rob, thanks for posting, that was awesome. I am going to have to get a meat hook and wear my leather guard on my right hand while I get used to it. I can see the advantage. I have used the curved point of my ulu in a similar fashion, but not with my left. I have always removed the floating front shoulders to process, but liked the way he left them on, using the attachment as an anchor, freeing up his left hand for processing. I will definitely try that.

He knew how to handle a knife, and deer anatomy. He used a knife of adequate size and sharpness.

If you had to get out of the woods in a hurry, and just make one trip, that would do it. Very impressive.

Almost pissed when he said "gonna take a minute on the neck....." Bet if this guy has daughters, this keeps the boys in line.

I had the pleasure meeting the guy in this video, his name is Kurt Heid. I ran into him at the Ohio Deer & Turkey expo this evening, what a great guy, super nice and very willing to spend time talking with me. I got some great tips on de-boning, skinning and most importantly knife sharpening, I won't even repeat the number of deer he said he de-bones between sharpening, key is having a smooth steel rod sharpener to give your knife just a touch, never use a coarse rod unless you have damaged your blade. He had a booth with instructional videos, knives, etc. set up. Needless to say I was in the market for a good boning knife anyway, along with a hook & smooth steel rod sharpener....sold!

If you don't mind me asking....how much did it set you back. I am always looking for another knife and that one was interesting......:cool:

The knife I bought & the one he uses daily (pictured) was $20, he had the same knife with Rosewood handle at $26. The knife brand is Victorinox, everything in the picture set me back $52.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 914
Back