MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

7MM Shooting Times Westerner

jbowlin

I am going to build some loads for my father-in-law's 7MM STW, I am thinking about starting with some 140 accubonds and 140 Nosler balistic tips. Have any of you had much experience with this caliber? Should I skip the lighter bullets and go to the 165+ grain class? He did not draw an elk tag this year, and if he were to shoot it this year for hunting, it would only be deer. Any advice is appreciated, I have no experience with this gun or caliber.

I tried the 140s in my 7 mag and they were really fast. Alot of damage to the meat. I had better luck with the 160s. I would try a 160 accubond and reloader 26. Thats a great combo. I'm also playing with the 162 Hornady ELD-x.

My stw is my go to gun. I've hunted everything from moose to whitetail with it. I shot 140 ballistics and 140 partitions for the longest time. Got tired of having two loads so last year worked up a 160 load with accubond lr. I'm getting pretty good results so far with the H1000.
Mean gun I took my elk last year at 496 with it.

Unless you want to make hamburger in the field, and just skip the kitchen grinder routine, I'd not suggest the 140 BT. They are an outstanding bullet, but do have limits. If you dead set on using a 140, go to a Partition......

( a couple of backstrap medallions would be suitable compensation for my expert advice) :)

I shot 160 accu bonds when I has a STW. " the 7mmstw will drop an elk across a canyon faster than a moonbeam"
Anyone remember which gun writer said that about the STW? Trivia , I do

If you want to stick with lighter weight bullets, I would suggest 139gr Hornady GMX, 139gr or 145gr Barnes Vor-TX LR, or 140gr TTSX. Even a 150gr TTSX would be a smashing, all-around load for deer and elk if you feel the need to shy away from lighter bullets. Otherwise I would step up to the new 155gr Edge TLR, or 160gr Accubond.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back