Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

7mm rm or 300wm for close range

Mou

im getting a new rifle .i consider hunting moose bear and deer.
Both 7mm rm and 300wm are ok for long range but which one would be better for close range ?
Recoil is not a problem for me neither bullet price

Both are champ rounds, but when you threw in moose the score card goes to the 300 with heavier bullets and greater surface area. As mentioned above quality controlled expansion bullets are important. You are talking black bear right?

Closer range I want more energy and that definitely goes to the 300 WM shooting heavier bullets. I have a 7 mag and not a 300 WM but I bought it for for pushing the distance a little further on Mule deer and Elk while still maintaining good energy.

Reactions: Mou
I'll echo that both work "perfectly" well, it's all in the bullet construction.

I'll also echo that, if you are like me, neither are "perfect" considering a bunch of superfluous factors to justify buying TWO new rifles! One for long range, one for medium range, one for close range. Wait...that's THREE new rifles! Sure, there are several cartridges that will work for all three, but you have to factor in if you are hiking or sitting, hunting mountain or prairie, wooded or open, different bullets/ammo for each application, different optics, different days of the week. WAIT...seven days in a week = SEVEN new rifles! 😁

All kidding aside, I'm in the same boat and I keep spinning my head in circles but it's slowing down to land on Nosler Partitions for the best of all worlds. Not a modern boattail design but I'm not shooting beyond 400 yards even out west and the design allows for expansion and penetration.

Assuming proper shot placement given the choice between 300wm and 7mmrm. Both will do the job at close range. Given you did say moose and bear, and recoil is not an issue and still assuming proper shot placement I might lean toward the 300wm but I could go either way. Obviously if you decide to look at calibers outside of those two some of the other suggested calibers would work well. I myself am partial to the 30-06 and 7mm-08 and I am researching the advantages of having a 280 AI (until I start considering a 300PRC again :p )

I'll echo that both work "perfectly" well, it's all in the bullet construction.

I'll also echo that, if you are like me, neither are "perfect" considering a bunch of superfluous factors to justify buying TWO new rifles! One for long range, one for medium range, one for close range. Wait...that's THREE new rifles! Sure, there are several cartridges that will work for all three, but you have to factor in if you are hiking or sitting, hunting mountain or prairie, wooded or open, different bullets/ammo for each application, different optics, different days of the week. WAIT...seven days in a week = SEVEN new rifles! 😁

All kidding aside, I'm in the same boat and I keep spinning my head in circles but it's slowing down to land on Nosler Partitions for the best of all worlds. Not a modern boattail design but I'm not shooting beyond 400 yards even out west and the design allows for expansion and penetration.
🤣

Both are champ rounds, but when you threw in moose the score card goes to the 300 with heavier bullets and greater surface area. As mentioned above quality controlled expansion bullets are important. You are talking black bear right?
Yes black bear

I've been always a small game hunter (shotgun 12gage)
Its gonna be my first and only rifle
So i want something good for long range and short range
My budget is 2000$ to 2500 $ including a scope any advise will do
Thank you guys for the support

Last edited:
I've been always a small game hunter (shotgun 12gage)
Its gonna be my first and only rifle
So i want something good for long range and short range
My budget is 2000$ to 2500 $ including a scope any advise will do
Thank you guys for the support

You really cant go wrong either way. I was in a similar boat when I bought my 7 mag. I wanted one hunting rifle that could do it all so I went 7 mag. My Army Ranger buddy wanted one for the same "do all" role and he went 300 WM. Do you have your heart set on the gun yet? Will it be a custom build? Reason I ask is some guns are only offered in one or the other as they are viewed as so close in nature that some manufacturers don't offer their rifle in both, its one or the other. That could narrow your choice down for you.

If you're looking for a factory built rifle the Seekins Havak is tough to beat in a hunting rifle.

You really cant go wrong either way. I was in a similar boat when I bought my 7 mag. I wanted one hunting rifle that could do it all so I went 7 mag. My Army Ranger buddy wanted one for the same "do all" role and he went 300 WM. Do you have your heart set on the gun yet? Will it be a custom build? Reason I ask is some guns are only offered in one or the other as they are viewed as so close in nature that some manufacturers don't offer their rifle in both, its one or the other. That could narrow your choice down for you.

If you're looking for a factory built rifle the Seekins Havak is tough to beat in a hunting rifle.
I had in mind the sako a7(comes in 7mm rm and 300wm) + a leupold vx5

Back