Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

7mm Remington Magnum 155gr Federal Terminal Ascent

I posted my experience in the above linked thread. The factory .30-06 terminal ascent ammo has shot very well for me.

I shot a barbary sheep with it this last March and it perished. I'm going to continue to use it, and will try to find the .280 AI version if/when I finally get a rifle in that chambering.

I used them in a 300wsm last fall. Shot a bull at close range but worked well. I'll definitely use them again. Historically a big fan of accubonds for reference

Any more info on these rounds? I typically shoot hornady but the rounds I had did not shoot that great out of my 7mag. Scheels had a ton of the federal TAs in stock so I bought a couple boxes. Hoping they group good.

They shoot great in my browning hells canyon in 7mm. I’ve shot elk and deer with it from my 280AI and was very impressed. I shot last weekend at 600 yards and I found a bullet in the dirt that mushroomed very nice from my 280. I haven’t shot anything less than 100 yards with them yet to make sure they hold up but they do well at long ranges. Full pass through on a bull at 500 and a cow at 400. The deer pretty much crumpled and it was a quartering away shot at about 100.

Well that's encouraging. Thanks for the info. I won a weatherby vanguard at a RMEF banquet and have struggled with accuracy. I know they have a 1 moa guarantee but I sure haven't gotten there yet. Hoping these rounds are the ticket

Wait....
Not sure how they shoot.
Your hoping well.
So you bought several boxes? :oops:

I had read about these before, had to do a refresher read.
Seems like they combined a Nosler ABLR, with a Barnes TSX bullet.
So where their "aerodynamic grooves" are is where it's solid copper.
The grooves just give the copper somewhere to displace to.
As for the angle at the back of the groove, mono bullet makers have already been doing that.
No way a nickle plated bullet is going down my bore!
And i don't need to take a bite of meat, to find a flake of nickle, either.

I'll stick with the Ballistic Tips, or if further range & bonded is needed, the ABLR.

Last edited:
Wait....
Not sure how they shoot.
Your hoping well.
So you bought several boxes? :oops:

I had read about these before, had to do a refresher read.
Seems like they combined a Nosler ABLR, with a Barnes TSX bullet.
So where their "aerodynamic grooves" are is where it's solid copper.
The grooves just give the copper somewhere to displace to.
As for the angle at the back of the groove, mono bullet makers have already been doing that.
No way a nickle plated bullet is going down my bore!
And i don't need to take a bite of meat, to find a flake of nickle, either.

I'll stick with the Ballistic Tips, or if further range & bonded is needed, the ABLR.
I bought 2 boxes since 7mag ammo has been very scarce. Didn't seem that outrageous to me? And the idea of eating flakes of nickel doesn't concern me either, I cut out any shot up meat. Also, If that's your thought process I'd be more concerned about lead than nickel. Your point of damage to the barrel is a concern, definitely something I have been researching. Seems general consensus is may shorten the life but shouldn't be an issue with a hunting rifle not being shot a ton. I guess we will see. They will probably be so inaccurate for me that it's all pointless anyways 😂

I used the TA in my .308 last year and had good accuracy and good success. Two hits on a cow elk at 350yds. One passed thru and the other stopped in the far hide. Perfect mushroom like an AB. No complaints.

I got around to shooting them with my vanguard and they were the only ammo I could get to group under 1 inch. Shot a steel target out to 600 with no problems at all. I'll be sticking with it for sure.

They group great out of my 30-06. Hoping to see how they work on a deer when I go to Minnesota for opener in a few weeks. The Terminal Ascent is basically the descendent of the Trophy Bonded Tip (and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw if you go farther back) and I’ve had great success on whitetails and black bears with the Trophy Bonded Tip out of my 300 WM and 270 Win. I think you’ll be happy with the performance of the TA as long as they group well out of your rifle.

Interesting to hear that. I have taken my last two deer (225 yds, 335 yds) and last elk (182 yds) with TBT's in my 308. The elk dropped where he stood and I found the round just inside the hide on the opposite side perfectly mushroomed. My 308 really likes the 165-gr TBTs and I can get 1.75-inch groups at 200 yds which is where I zero. I bought some TA's as a hedge against not finding any more TBTs anytime soon but haven't shot them yet. They are 175-gr so curious to see if there is going to be enough of a difference in accuracy. This same 308 likes 180-gr partitions pretty well too but accuracy is just slightly worse so my fingers are crossed.

I switched over from Hsm 168 bergers to 155 terminal ascents because of the wasted meat on the bergers. While I never lost an animal to the bergers, it seemed like I was cutting out way too much blood shot meat. I shot a mule deer doe at 40 yards, mule deer buck at 80 yards and an antelope buck at 150 yards with the terminal ascents this year. All animals dropped in their tracks with complete pass threws. Meat waste was done to a minimum, even with he close shots. Overall really impressed and ordered enough boxes for years of hunting. Added benefit, they grouped decent in the rifle 3/4 moa.

They group great out of my 30-06. Hoping to see how they work on a deer when I go to Minnesota for opener in a few weeks. The Terminal Ascent is basically the descendent of the Trophy Bonded Tip (and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw if you go farther back) and I’ve had great success on whitetails and black bears with the Trophy Bonded Tip out of my 300 WM and 270 Win. I think you’ll be happy with the performance of the TA as long as they group well out of your rifle.
Update: I killed a 1 1/2 year old whitetail at about 35 yards with my 30.06 and 175 grain terminal ascents. Excellent performance. Exited the deer (as Id expect at that range.) Deer went 50yds or so before piling up. Not as much meat damage as I was expecting. Definitely messed the heart up a bit though.

These things group great out of this gun. The 200 grains group great out of my 300 WM. Still a little early, but these might be my new go-to bullet for most applications. They just seem to check all the boxes.

Attachments

• 822B3E76-C323-4B0A-9D88-D68991C3646E.jpeg
    822B3E76-C323-4B0A-9D88-D68991C3646E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • 0C3EA439-A2A3-47E5-924F-B9DDF66A5FF1.jpeg
    0C3EA439-A2A3-47E5-924F-B9DDF66A5FF1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • BE5F3AB0-A4A7-4AD1-8317-DE963AEAAB3A.jpeg
    BE5F3AB0-A4A7-4AD1-8317-DE963AEAAB3A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • CC5F3652-6CB5-40CA-BFC0-CC02E465C776.jpeg
    CC5F3652-6CB5-40CA-BFC0-CC02E465C776.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
I agree MNhunter. Was the only ammo that grouped in my 7 rem mag. My wife used it on a cow moose hunt. At around 200 yards she clipped the one shoulder, through the heart, and i found the bullet in the back shoulder. Perfect mushroom and retained about 95% of weight. Moose went about 5 yards. For hitting the shoulder i was expecting way more damage. Can't ask for anything more than that.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back