Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

7mm-08 vs 25-06

7mm-08 will give you litle better future flexabilty in my opinion. With lead free you can always shot lighter bullets faster then if you ever try elk in a different state you can load up heavier lead bullets. Lots of great walmart ammo...

I am partial to 7-08. I would love to add a 25-06 or even a 257 weatherby to the safe but my 7-08 has been sufficient for my needs throughout the years. Good luck with your decision.

While i have a special place in my heart for the 25 caliber, my vote is 7mm-08 also.
Having owned one, that i later rechambered to 7mm-08AI, i would highly recommend it.
The standard, not the AI.
If you get into handloading, the 7mm really shines!
Bullets from 100gr Varmint through 168gr Berger VLD.

Lots of people want to shoot the heavier, 150gr +, bullets. But due to the length of the throat, the heavier bullets really start to encroach on the powder space.

7mm-08 really shines with the 120-140gr class bullets.

Plus our fearless leader will use one on elk out to about 400 yards.

7mm-08 will give you litle better future flexabilty in my opinion. With lead free you can always shot lighter bullets faster then if you ever try elk in a different state you can load up heavier lead bullets. Lots of great walmart ammo...
7mm-08 does look to be the most flexible all around cartridge. Unfortunately our Walmarts don't carry squat for lead free ammo. We can't buy ammo online anymore... My best best is sportsman's Warehouse about 30 minutes from me.

I had a 25-06, and frankly didn't get the point of it.

Randy Newberg kept yapping about his 7mm-08 so I felt obligated to buy one. My 13 yr old has killed a nice 3x3 mulie and a big 6x6 elk with it. Any questions I had are long since gone. It's a great caliber.
(Do not tell Randy, no need to feed his ego)

I was looking over this thread again, and actually, WH has a point. You seem to like fast/flat shooting, .270 will certainly do that. And since ammo availability is an issue and you don't handload, you're likely to find a lot more lead free options on the shelf in .270 than either of the others.
Fast and flat is definitely what I prefer, lower recoil is a plus. 270 could be an option with lots of ammo options. I guess what I need to do is keep checking in with my local Sportsman's Warehouse and see what they keep in stock most. They seem to get wiped out quite a bit at our local store. Maybe the less popular calibers are less likely to be sold out. I have a hell of a time getting lead free .223 for my varmint rifle.

Find what your rifle likes, then buy a bunch of it off the internet. I wouldn't let what's available locally determine what rifle/cartridge I bought.

Find what your rifle likes, then buy a bunch of it off the internet. I wouldn't let what's available locally determine what rifle/cartridge I bought.
Those of us that live in California cannot buy ammo on the net. We might be able to get a local shop to place a special order but the minimum order size have been high when I checked.
We also cannot drive to another state and bring it home with us.

Those of us that live in California cannot buy ammo on the net. We might be able to get a local shop to place a special order but the minimum order size have been high when I checked.
We also cannot drive to another state and bring it home with us.

Dang it, I forgot about that. Sounds like a great excuse to start reloading. Or for moving. Lol

The 270 will do anything the other cartridges will do and often times, the ammo is easier to find & cheaper.

Not a bad rifle to have.
I agree! I have a .270 (it’s a weatherby, but that doesn’t make that big of difference. .270 win is a proven cartridge) and I love it. I can shoot any animal in North America with it. I am also in California. If your rember the last ammo scare we had, .270 win was the only ammo I ever saw on the shelves for about 6 months.

Also, if you have an FFL-03 and a COE you can buy ammo online in California and have it mailed to your doorstep. I know. I have one and do it frequently. I also handload, and if you live close to me I would be willing to help you out with getting started or even using my equipment as I show you how it’s done.

I agree! I have a .270 (it’s a weatherby, but that doesn’t make that big of difference. .270 win is a proven cartridge) and I love it. I can shoot any animal in North America with it. I am also in California. If your rember the last ammo scare we had, .270 win was the only ammo I ever saw on the shelves for about 6 months.

Also, if you have an FFL-03 and a COE you can buy ammo online in California and have it mailed to your doorstep. I know. I have one and do it frequently. I also handload, and if you live close to me I would be willing to help you out with getting started or even using my equipment as I show you how it’s done.
Now is a good time to look since I heard lots of people stocked up before the new law as of July 1. I'll see what they have the most of between 7/08 and 270. I'd definitely like to get into reloading in the future. I'm about 45min south of Fresno.

Now is a good time to look since I heard lots of people stocked up before the new law as of July 1. I'll see what they have the most of between 7/08 and 270. I'd definitely like to get into reloading in the future. I'm about 45min south of Fresno.
I am in Arroyo Grande (near Pismo Beach). When you are ready to start reloading and have questions feel free to ask. I have been loading for 25 years. Don’t know it all by any means, but I can help you safely get started.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back