7mm-08 not just for kids and women…

Lonster

I see numerous threads where someone is asking for a rifle/caliber recommendation for a child or a woman and several folks will suggest a 7mm-08. I agree, it is the perfect caliber for women/young hunters as well as grown macho men!

I’ve owned lots of rifles over the last 37 years and many of those have been magnum calibers (.300 WBY, .270 WBY, .300 WSM, 7mm REM Mag.) and recoil doesn’t bother me, I’m 6’1” and 230lbs.

The one rifle that I keep going back to is my 7mm-08. I bought my first one about 25 years ago and it is still with me today, blued steel with a laminated stock and a Burris Signature 3-9x40 scope. I’ve killed lots of deer with this rifle from 50 yards to over 300 yards. In fact, I love this rifle/cartridge so much that last year I purchased another one in the HS Precision version.

With a 120 grain TTSX or 120 grain Hammer I’m good for anything from whitetails to moose. Guess my other rifles will be collecting dust.

I love my 7mm-08, initially bought it for my wife but I liked it too much so bought her a .243 in a compact stock and kept the -08 for me.

Took it to Nebraska for the first time this year and took a buck at 155 yards and a fawn at 95 yards. Both I used 150 grain Hornady precision hunter ammo.

The buck dropped like a sack of bricks and the fawn was a perfect double king that went 50 yards, but the blood trail was amazing.

I think Randy just used his to take his goat at over 300 yards.

I'll agree, preaching to the choir.

I loved my Stevens 200 in 7mm-08AI. But after 6,000+ rounds down the tube, it was past time for a new tube. I rebarreled in 250 Savage.

I miss the 7mm-08!
I'm not so sure my reluctance to replace it hasn't been due to how much i like it. I have other rifles, in other cartridges that i'm trying to shoot too.

Alot of my friends that shoot, also go for their 7mm-08s first also.

I bought mine as a Congratulatory gift to myself for being smart & strong enough to say Bye-Bye to the EX. That was 21 years ago and we're still going strong (the rifle & me, not so much the EX). To date it remains my only 100% 1st shot/done rifle, all with 140, 150 Noslers.....and that my friends amounts to ALOT of meals !!

I see numerous threads where someone is asking for a rifle/caliber recommendation for a child or a woman and several folks will suggest a 7mm-08. I agree, it is the perfect caliber for women/young hunters as well as grown macho men!

I’ve owned lots of rifles over the last 37 years and many of those have been magnum calibers (.300 WBY, .270 WBY, .300 WSM, 7mm REM Mag.) and recoil doesn’t bother me, I’m 6’1” and 230lbs.

The one rifle that I keep going back to is my 7mm-08. I bought my first one about 25 years ago and it is still with me today, blued steel with a laminated stock and a Burris Signature 3-9x40 scope. I’ve killed lots of deer with this rifle from 50 yards to over 300 yards. In fact, I love this rifle/cartridge so much that last year I purchased another one in the HS Precision version.

With a 120 grain TTSX or 120 grain Hammer I’m good for anything from whitetails to moose. Guess my other rifles will be collecting dust.

Same here, I hunt deer with a .257 Wby. mag, .264 Win. mag, 7mm Rem. mag, and a .300 Wby. mag. Like you, I have no problem with recoil, and can shoot them all accurately. This year though, I bought a new Win. model 70 FW in .308. What a nice little gun! To me, recoil is almost non-existent with 150's. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to shoot a deer when carrying this rifle. Anyway I like the magnums, but it sounds like the 7mm-08 is a real winner! Am considering getting something in that caliber.

My wife loves hers, and if I wasn't shooting a gifted '06, I'd look to a 7mm-08. Ammo has sure been hard to find, though.
For the current cost of 2-3 boxes of ammo you can set yourself up with a budget reload set-up & Save $$$$$$! There's no magic to reloading, just be step-by-step careful and TA-DA!

8or 9 years ago I was having issues with my .270 win. I got so frustrated that I went to the next sportsmans show to look for a new rifle. As I was searching the different vendors I stumbled across a stainless Ruger M77 in a 7mm08. I took it home, found a box of shells for it and have loved that rifle ever since. I find myself always trying to decide between taking that or my .280Rem. Its always a toss up, I always enjoy shooting that rifle, mild recoil and deadly accurate.

Just picked up a 7mm08 Browning X Bolt micro. Got dies, bullets, Talley rings/bases and just need to get the Leupold scope from Schmalts. The intention is for this to be my wife's hunting tool, but something tells me I may have to kill a few things with it too🤔

I have cases, primers, and bullets. Now, about powder....
Keep an eye on Powder Valley. They have had Ramshot Big Game in stock several times over the last month. Picked up a lb. On two separate occasions. Shipping costs suck but no getting around that these days.

7mm-08 has out performed 30-06 and 25-06 in my family.

I own pump and bolt in 7mm-08.

Staight pull in 6.5mm only because there weren't any 7mm-08 imported and no US manufacturers making stright pull rifles then.

Maybe a BLR in 7mm-08 in my future.

Love the caliber.

For the current cost of 2-3 boxes of ammo you can set yourself up with a budget reload set-up & Save $$$$$$! There's no magic to reloading, just be step-by-step careful and TA-DA!
Components are harder to find than ammo at this point. If you're set up with everything you need, it's great, but I'm back to buying factory ammo because I can't get bullets and powders. Hopefully it's back on the upswing.

QQ

Back