Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

7mm-08 elk ammo

CForest

Looking at some different ammo configurations for my wife's 7mm-08 for her cow hunt this fall. Came across a nice deal on hsm ammo with berger vld bullets. Anyone have an opinion on how this bullet will work with a slower and more "close range" type of a caliber? I like the theory of this bullet but never shot it myself. My go-to bullet will be the accubond, it has never disappointed me in other calibers but I'm open to suggestions and nosler ammo is spendy $$$ although high quality. Will probably stick with factory ammo at least till I get some brass stocked up. It's not something that will get shot a whole bunch but will get used on both elk and deer. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/ammunition/rifle-ammunition-ammo/e-tip-7mm-08-remington-140-grain-lead-free-ammo-blem-20ct.html

Shooters Pro Shop has 7mm-08 factory seconds Nosler for a damn good price right now. I suggest buying as much as you can afford. Factory seconds Nosler ammo is as good as the expensive stuff just might be slightly discolored brass or have a fingerprint

That is a pretty darn good deal. I signed up for them to notify me when the accubonds come back in stock. I have decided to bag the idea of the berger bullet setup. Nobody seems to be real confident in them so I will stick with what works. If anyone comes across a deal like that on the nosler acuubonds or barnes ttsx please let me know!

I picked up some 7mm-08 Barnes triple shock ammo on close out that I'd sell you. I have 18 boxes. $15 per box plus shipping.

Andy

I've never used the Bergers but there is a good youtube video that showcases the Berger bullets and how they perform at close range. I watched it a couple weeks ago and was impressed.

I cant send the link from my work computer, just search "short range capabilities of berger bullets" on Youtube

I did see that video. That's what made me consider them, but it is a video by berger themselves.... So gotta take it with a grain of salt, most all companies are good at advertising haha. My biggest concern is a shot that's not placed in the vitals. I like the theory of this type of bullet, but really starting to think it's not the hest fit for this particular gun on elk. On something like an antelope I'd sure give them a try though.

SPS has the 140 gr E-Tips in stock now. Same as the Barnes TTSX pretty much, and you won't find any Barnes at that price anywhere !

For a cow elk, I wouldn't have a problem with the 150 BT at 7mm-08 velocities. I've only shot deer & pigs with them, but I've never been able to recover one. That would be about 10 pass-thru's in a row.

I load 140gr accubonds in my sons 7/08. They have worked great on elk...and every thing else hes shot with them

I haven't shot the E-tips, but I would personally sacrifice a bit of accuracy to use Accubonds. They work very well on elk from a 7/08...seen it happen personally 14 times.

Gunner46 also has a good point about the 150 BT...and I would even say the 120 and 140 BT would work too. I loaded some 140 BT's for a guy I work with. His sons have killed a number of mule deer and elk with them from their 7-08's.

I just picked up some 140 gr Accubond for my 7-08. This will be solely for my back-up elk rifle this year. I have never shot Nosler out of my guns, but after reading/seeing many great things about them, decided to give them a try. Since I will be re-zeroing my rifle with this ammo, has anyone used 140 gr Accubond on whitetails or is it too much? Reason being, this is typically my deer gun and don't want to re-zero after my elk hunt.

I just picked up some 140 gr Accubond for my 7-08. This will be solely for my back-up elk rifle this year. I have never shot Nosler out of my guns, but after reading/seeing many great things about them, decided to give them a try. Since I will be re-zeroing my rifle with this ammo, has anyone used 140 gr Accubond on whitetails or is it too much? Reason being, this is typically my deer gun and don't want to re-zero after my elk hunt.

I'm shooting 160 grain Partitions in my 7 SAUM on whitetails and hopefully an elk in October. They preformed flawlessly on whitetails. I couldn't imagine the 140's not preforming well for you in your 7-08.

The 140 BT and 140 AB are exactly the same bullets configuration. The only difference is the AB has the core bonded to the jacket, and the tip is white.

My wife took a great bull two years ago with 7mm-08 140 gr. Federal Premium Nosler Partition. The bullet performed perfectly. I have taken dozens of big game animals with the Partition bullets in other calibers.

The VLD's can be tricky cuz they're a bit sensitive to seating depth. I've used them pretty successfully with deer in my 6.5 Creedmoor but I think you'd be better off with the Accubonds for elk. I try to work up specific loads for my target species that way I make a slight scope adjustment and I get the best performance for my intended target

I have 2 boxes of the 140gr. Berger Hunting VLD. Using them at the range mostly to try my hand at 1000 yards. (looking to try experiment with 140gr. at faster velocity, vs 160+ gr. with higher BC)
I have found that for my Stevens 200 they like to be seated touching to 0.005' off of the lands. Otherwise groups open up.

If you can get the Accubonds to group decently, by all means try them, or the Partition.

I've never had an occasion that I had to chase deer after being hit by a Ballistic Tip.

Have fun, be safe!!

Std7mag

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back