7mm-08 150 gr. Hammers

G. McAlister

Just loaded up a ladder test with the 150gr. Shock Hammers. Does anyone have any experience with speed and performance expectations? Where they see pressure signs, etc?

Agreed. Even if your twist is sufficient, I think that’s too heavy a bullet for the 7-08. I’d go with the 136 Shock Hammer or the 131 Hammer Hunter.

I use Nosler data for similar bullet weights and find it to be fairly accurate. I can usually push beyond their max loads.

Depends on a lot of things.
Barrel length, powder used, are the 2 biggest.
Assuming your using a 22" barrel, probably in the 2,500 - 2,600 fps range.
With that in mind, your looking at a viable 400 yard option.
At 400 yards, 1,800 fps with 1,100 ftlb of energy. Plenty for deer.

If your looking at keeping with the 1,500 ftlb energy for elk, then yeah distance goes to 200 yards.

Quick rough guesstimates using Strelok.

Follow up post:

Trialed my loads today and you guys were dead on with the numbers. Using Varget I was getting an average speed of 2665 out of a 20” barrel, which keeps me above 2000 FPS and just under 1500 ft. Lbs out to 300 yards. I was quite impressed with the performance and could probably push a little more speed out of them as I had no pressure signs but don’t want to push it.

Reactions: JEB
Remember you need to be mindful of velocity at your maximum range. Need enough speed for expansion, which as I recall is 1600 FPS with Shock Hammers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back