Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

700 SA Build

JT88

I have an "extra" 700 SA that I'm thinking of building into a lighter weight winter predator rifle. I do a lot of long range shooting and I hand load, but I don't really have a good lightweight long range hunting rifle. It will be used for predators and long range shooting only unless I decide I like it enough to pack it around during deer/elk season. I'm not into long range hunting other than for predators.

I'm thinking -
.260 Remington, Proof barrel, SWFA scope, Triggertech trigger...

I'm not trying to go ultra light, just tired of having nothing between my 7 Mag elk / deer hunting rifle and my long range rifles with bull barrels and Nightforce scopes. I put on a lot of miles in the winter in deep snow and I'm just getting worn out packing heavy rifles and a pack. Any advice?

I have an "extra" 700 SA that I'm thinking of building into a lighter weight winter predator rifle. I do a lot of long range shooting and I hand load, but I don't really have a good lightweight long range hunting rifle. It will be used for predators and long range shooting only unless I decide I like it enough to pack it around during deer/elk season. I'm not into long range hunting other than for predators.

I'm thinking -
.260 Remington, Proof barrel, SWFA scope, Triggertech trigger...

I'm not trying to go ultra light, just tired of having nothing between my 7 Mag elk / deer hunting rifle and my long range rifles with bull barrels and Nightforce scopes. I put on a lot of miles in the winter in deep snow and I'm just getting worn out packing heavy rifles and a pack. Any advice?
Sounds like a fast twist 6mm creedmoor or 243 to me. In a predator rifle I want a round that’s fairly flat shooting as you may dump one at 100 yards and it’s partner might make 400 before he decides to stop if he does. In that situation you have no time to range and dial so I want flat trajectory so I have less error to deal with on my hold over when I don’t know the exact distance.

Sounds like a fast twist 6mm creedmoor or 243 to me. In a predator rifle I want a round that’s fairly flat shooting as you may dump one at 100 yards and it’s partner might make 400 before he decides to stop if he does. In that situation you have no time to range and dial so I want flat trajectory so I have less error to deal with on my hold over when I don’t know the exact distance.
I may go this route. I'm not worried about using a 6mm on wolves, but the reason I hesitate is that if this goes well I can see it replacing my current hunting rifle and I'd like a little more horsepower for Elk if it ends up being my go to rifle.

How many 400 yds shots do you actually get? I'd settle for the 243 with lighter bullet's but I'd keep them min 70 gr. Have shot a few coyote's with the 75 gr V-Max and it did a good job and didn't tear up the coyote. I suspect you could even use the 75 gr to 400 yds if you practiced with it at 400 yds. The bullet will get there but you'll have to hold over some. In fact pretty much what ever you use at 400 yds, your gonna have to hold over, just a matter of how much!

How many 400 yds shots do you actually get? I'd settle for the 243 with lighter bullet's but I'd keep them min 70 gr. Have shot a few coyote's with the 75 gr V-Max and it did a good job and didn't tear up the coyote. I suspect you could even use the 75 gr to 400 yds if you practiced with it at 400 yds. The bullet will get there but you'll have to hold over some. In fact pretty much what ever you use at 400 yds, your gonna have to hold over, just a matter of how much!

Well, I had a pack of wolves at 650 the other day. I didn't get a shot off because they were on the move and went over the ridge before I had time to get set up, but the reality of hunting wolves in the mountains is that getting a sub 500 yard shot is pretty tough. A couple hundred extra yards can make a world of difference and increase your odds

I’d definitely go AICS mags and dbm in a 700 SA, otherwise real hard to fit bullets that match your goals. Something like a Manners EH1 or KRG Bravo if you want a chassis could fit the bill.

I’d definitely go AICS mags and dbm in a 700 SA, otherwise real hard to fit bullets that match your goals. Something like a Manners EH1 or KRG Bravo if you want a chassis could fit the bill.
I bought a Magpul hunter stock a few years ago I might throw on there for now. I don't know how much I like the stock but does allow for AICS mags and longer COAL. It works with my ALPHA type 2 mag as well

Nice, it’d be a place to start and if you didn’t like it easy to switch to something else. I’ve been using the binderless aics mags from Altus Shooting and I like them a lot.

IMO if you want a lightweight gun for predators I’d stick to the 22cal/6mm cal. If you find you like the weight and rifle can always build another for elk!😁
22cal- 22Creed Fast twist slinging 75-80gr
6mm- Fast twist 6creed or 243win slinging 105-110gr

I love my 260 but yotes hate it! Been really thinking about a 8twist 24" 243....i just would want it to be mag fed as predator gun. New guns are exciting..lol

With the 260 Remington. You will not go wrong! I build rifles as a hobby and I build a new hunting rifle every few years. Last year I built a Remington 260 IMP with 30 degree shoulders. My platform was a Remington SA (RR prefix) PT&G one piece bolt with the body milled to .703 and bolt race way in the receiver at .705. i lapped the bolt to smooth as glass. I printed the receiver too. The barrel is a Krieger 1-7.5 twist With a Remington Varmint contour. Trigger Tech trigger and XLR stock. I ground the recoil lug to .001 so the receiver, lug and barrel are square with one another. I'm fireforming Peterson brass with 43.5 grs of IMR 4350 and a Sierra 142 SMK on top. after 50 rounds break in. My 5 shot groups are .038 at 2780 fps ES 8. At the range I'm ringing steel at 1400 yds. The rifle is topped with a Vortex PST Gen II 5x25x50 FFP

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back