Caribou Gear

7-08 or 308 ?

Rooster52

Looking at buying a new Browning XBOLT left hand. Trying to decide between 7-08 or 308.
What is your choice? Good points ? Deer and antelope rifle. Got a couple different scope choices on hand. VX3 2-8x33 and Redfield Revolution 3-9x50.
Taking a couple of my rifles in to see how they will trade.

I'd lean towards the 7-08. But, they are peas in a pod, so either one will do what the other will. If you plan on factory ammo, there are more options with 308, though there are sufficient ones for 7-08.

Use the VX3 on either.

7-08 if you're just using it for deer and antelope I mean both great rounds

If you reload...the 7-08, if you use factory ammo only then the 308. Both will get the job done on anything in the lower 48 from varmints to moose.

I agree, both will get the job done. This subject has been talked about and debated on the forum quite a bit. Do a search for 7mm08 and you will get plenty. :)

I've only shot the .308, does the recoil of the 7mm-08 recoil that much less? I'm looking for my 10 year old son.

I bought my son a 7mm-08 for his first rifle, my only knock on my choice is that I don't reload and there have been times it's been hard to find ammo for. It's also my experience that it's more expensive than the .308 too. Not a bunch, but my boy can shoot a box of shells pretty fast at the range.

that being said, very happy with the caliber, but if I could go back I would get him a .308

I would vote 7-08. In my mind there is nothing the .308 does that can't be done with the 7-08 and better. When comparing bulllets of the same weight class, you will see that sectional density and b.c. is better on the 7mm bullets. Also a slight reduction in recoil.

As far as factory ammo goes. If you are buying ammo with premium bullets, its going to be expensive no matter what caliber. A couple dollars a box different from the 308 to 7-08 isn't going to keep you from practicing any more. If you are gonna shoot a bunch, find a dealer that will give you a case discount and buy 10 boxes at a time.

Back