Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

6pts Wyoming pronghorn

fallfreak

I've never been pronghorn hunting and have been building points the last 6 years so I now have 6pts. I'm thinking I could get into a unit somewhere in the southwest corner of the state that has good public access and good pronghorn numbers. My first question is would I be able to pick up a doe tag as well in that area? Do I camp from road? State camping area? Hike in and camp? Motel? I know I would want to get meat cooled quickly if successful. How many days should I allow for a good hunt? Any advice from the experienced pronghorn hunters is greatly appreciated.

Allow as many days to hunt as you want to hunt. You'll have a different buck within shooting range every 15-30 minutes.

When I had my tag I took a week and wrung every drop of fun I could out of that time period, before I finally shot one on the last day.

You can camp anywhere on BLM. I went to town every third day or so to get a motel and cleaned up.

Keep a couple coolers full of frozen water jugs so you can cool meat quickly when you do shoot one. It was in the 90's most days I was down there.

I'm jealous, you're going to have a blast.

1---Doe permits are drawn at random with no PPs used so if you put in for the draw you have the same chance at getting one and you can actually apply for two in the same or different units.
2---No camping or fires on state land.
3---Most BLM land has plenty of places you can set up a camp to hunt out of.
4---Motel it if you want to, as it's up to each person if they want to rough it a little or have a more "home like" setting.
5---An antelope will generally get you about 35-40 pounds of boned out meat, so bring enough coolers that will hold that meat for the number of tags you have and a good amount of ice to keep it cold.
6---As mentioned earlier, take as many days as you have available so you're not rushing yourself to take a good buck. If you've never hunted them, take plenty of time to look a bunch over, as the biggest mistake a lot of newbies make is shooting one too early in their hunt and then wishing they still had a tag when a bigger one shows himself.

Good luck and have fun, as antelope hunting can get pretty addicting and they are a very neat and pretty animal.

Don't even put a bullet in your rifle until about day 3 or 4 until you've had time to look over several bucks and get the idea of what a dink and what a nice buck and what a really great buck looks like, then go after the biggest one the rest of the time :D

Its Wyoming so it could be 70 one day and snowing sideways the next. If you go with someone and split the cost a motel is pretty reasonable. If you're hunting in BFE then camping is probably the way to go.

Now I'm not a bullet hoarder so I say let 'em fly and b/c you may need to shoot many bullets

Is it better to go a few days before season to scout them out and be ready to go opening morning or wait a week after opener so hunting pressure is down?

Is it better to go a few days before season to scout them out and be ready to go opening morning or wait a week after opener so hunting pressure is down?

I prefer waiting to let the opening week crowd go home, but it's really whatever suits your fanny!

I never hunt opening week. Let the locals have their time to stir them up. I usually start the end of the second week or the beginning of the third.

Depends on your goal. If you are looking to kill the biggest buck you can find in the unit. My advice would be to go a couple days early and scout until you find the buck you want to kill. Find him again the night before the opener and put him to bed. He will usually be within 1/2 mile of where you saw him at last light the next morning and kill him.

If you are wanting to hunt for a while and see a bunch of bucks and shoot one when you are ready to go home. I would say wait until after the opener and enjoy having most of the place to yourself.

I know some of these have split seasons...or one season from September till the end of October. My daughter has her fall break around the 2nd-3rd week in October. I'm thinking they are a bit more skittish then...but I"m sure the number of people have dramatically decreased by then? I know it's missing the rut, but is hunting the rut as important? or just more preferable? Should be cooler too.

I never hunt first week unless it's the type 2 tag. Personally I'd scout before the season for a day or 2 so you don't risk shooting until you've seen some animals.

If you hunt late season during the week, you will have the area to yourself. But if it's deer season it could be busy

I've never been pronghorn hunting and have been building points the last 6 years so I now have 6pts. I'm thinking I could get into a unit somewhere in the southwest corner of the state that has good public access and good pronghorn numbers. My first question is would I be able to pick up a doe tag as well in that area? Do I camp from road? State camping area? Hike in and camp? Motel? I know I would want to get meat cooled quickly if successful. How many days should I allow for a good hunt? Any advice from the experienced pronghorn hunters is greatly appreciated.

wish it had the "6 points" problem! Not nearly patient enough!

Know your Area

1--- the biggest mistake a lot of newbies make is shooting one too early in their hunt and then wishing they still had a tag when a bigger one shows himself.

That is a common mistake, but every 2-3 years it seems I have a real stud, no-brainer show up the first morning. If you don't know what your hunt area holds, you could pass up a special buck. Talking yourself out of shooting a monster is just as bad as talking yourself into shooting a dink.

I burned six points last year and hunted several days. I misjudged a buck in the sage and killed him. He was smaller than I wanted. I had passed on what were probably better ones. Decide what you want and stick to that goal-don't choke like me!:W: That was my last horn hunt.

Okay got it narrowed down to 4 units. Looking more for opportunity than trophy. What would you do?? Unit 55,59,96, or 98?

ANY unit gives you opportunity. Look for the trophy producers. The southwest units are all good and there are also some good units northwest. You have some time to do some homework.

62, 80, 83 and 48 are the ones that I know of that all hold good bucks, but like I said, all units hold a few good bucks. If the moisture is bad, then all units can also be a bust. Don't waste your points on a unit that could be had for three or four points. Be selective. I would stay in at least a five point range of units.
Eastman's Hunting mags will list their picks and also the level of access. It helps.

My experience with the SW units on opening day has always been pleasant. I've drawn SW units three times since 2008. There are fewer tags in these units, so less pressure. Go opening week, you won't regret it.

Last edited:
Okay got it narrowed down to 4 units. Looking more for opportunity than trophy. What would you do?? Unit 55,59,96, or 98?

Unless you are putting in special, I wouldn't bank on being able to draw 55 or 96 with 6 points. And due to point creep 59 is questionable. My rule of thumb is to look at the previous years draw odds and research units that had 100% draw with one point less than I currently have. Don't take that to the bank though, it failed me last year! :W:

Back