PEAX Equipment

680/690 Elk unit changes coming in 2020.

Luke_with_a_lab

I'm sure some of you have seen that the FWP is combining a bunch of the 600 elk units I think from 9 districts to 5 this upcoming year. In addition, they are changing up bull tags, cow tags, and shoulder season tags. One of those that they are expecting to change is the 690/680 unit. They are going to combine that to one unit. That doesn't seem like a big deal to me however, the thing that does is how they are changing the cow hunting tags in this unit. From what I read it looks like they are upping the either-sex archery tags from 35 to 50. Then during the rifle season, they are going to allow a person to use a general elk tag on cows, whereas currently its a special draw for a cow tag.

So my question is do you guys think this will significantly reduce the quality of bull elk hunting in this unit or because it is "over objective that it will not have a noticeable effect?

Yes it will. It will also affect the access to private in the unit. I sent in my concerns, but I’m sure it’s not going to make a difference.

Quality elk management in Montana is a thing of the past. Some world class elk districts have been lost since they won't curb back permit numbers.

mtmiller,

Were you at the public meeting? if you were and would mind sharing what were the main sentiments shared by the public and gov officials?

I find it interesting that they are willing to let an awesome unit like that get overrun with people when they could just work on facilitating better access... idk my two cents

Dumb question, but aren't 680/690 already combined as far as tags go (690- elk codes)? The change to allow antlerless elk hunts to general tag holders seems like a big deal in this type of LE unit. The increase in archery tags is interesting as it seems that public access is already very difficult

680/690 are combined for elk, as well as pronghorn. Proposal is a deer issue.

Several very vocal opponents for the proposed increase in archery permits only and no increase in rifle permits. ie. preference to bowhunters

I see lots of cons with the general cow elk proposal, but only one pro.....elk numbers will be reduced closer to the very low objectives number.

Montana is an Enigma to me, despite it being the first western state I bowhunted years ago, I am sitting on some point since my last tag and honestly nothing thrills me enough to draw again. I keep rolling around 680 and 630. Now this puts a new spin on things

Don’t believe anything changed from the agenda yesterday. They had a few changes in region 2,4,&5 from what was on the commission agenda yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back