Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

6-man tent

BrentD

I'm looking for a 6-person tent to be used for truck camping situations. I have a North Face that gets 3-4 weeks of use per year and it is starting to crack - I guess due to UV light degradation. I'd buy another one, but tent models seem to turn over faster than pancakes on a hot griddle so they don't make it any more. So, what to replace it with?

I need something that can stand up well to wind. I found one at REI that looked pretty promising but the poor reviews were all unanimous that it collapses catastrophically in high winds. That won't do.
https://www.rei.com/product/894016/rei-co-op-kingdom-6-tent

It would be nice to have reasonably vertical walls to maximize the utility of floor space. The Cabela's Alaskan Guide tents are pretty bombproof but highly inefficient in use of space. Spent 2 weeks in one in Alaska and another week in the snow in N. New Mexico in another, so I know them well and may go that route, but maybe there are others.

It needs to be a 3-season tent with a lean towards the colder parts of the 3 seasons. Many of these alleged 3-season tents are > 50% mesh which makes me think they will be a bit cold in Wyoming in October, but it can't be too stuffy in New Mexico in July either. The North Face tent had a mesh ceiling that was pretty adequate without getting too carried away.

A vestibule is never a bad thing, nor likely to be too big.

Flies that reach the ground seem to be a good idea to help with warmth and weatherproofness.

A 6-person Marmot Halo seems to be the best I have come up with so far.
https://www.backcountry.com/marmot-...kIFRlbnRzOjE6ODpiYy0zc3NuZm1seWNtcGdybmR0bnRz

This was interesting to me, but would it handle winds in Central Wyoming Antelope country?
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/151693/nemo-2017-dark-timber-4p-tent

Anyway, I would like to see some other recommendations.

Watching this thread. I got votes in favor of a bigger tent for next year. A true wall tent was vetoed, though it seemed like the logical answer.

We like our Springbar.
It still takes up some room in the truck, but it is nice to have on extended trips.

Attachments

• 7816915_orig.jpg
    7816915_orig.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 479
How old is your north face? Did you consider sending it in under their lifetime warranty policy as a UV light defect? Even if they don't agree with that, they may cut you a deal on a new one.

My parents have a Cabelas 6-man Alaska Guide, $450, but it's freakin' bomb proof. They also make a slightly cheaper one: https://www.cabelas.com/product/cam...las-westwind-p-dome-tent/2437124.uts?slotId=3

If you go with that REI Kingdom I would love a review. I've been eyeballing that one for a while now.

How old is your north face? Did you consider sending it in under their lifetime warranty policy as a UV light defect? Even if they don't agree with that, they may cut you a deal on a new one.

My parents have a Cabelas 6-man Alaska Guide, $450, but it's freakin' bomb proof. They also make a slightly cheaper one: https://www.cabelas.com/product/cam...las-westwind-p-dome-tent/2437124.uts?slotId=3

If you go with that REI Kingdom I would love a review. I've been eyeballing that one for a while now.

Elitist, I like the way you think. I will try the North Face route. Nothing to lose.

If you look at the reviews of all the Kingdom tents (4, 6 and 8 person), and you look at just the bad reviews - you will see that there are quite a few and everyone of them blew up in the wind. I don't put a lot of stock in customer reviews normally, but when they all point the same way like that, I pay attention. That would be my choice otherwise.

buddy & I stayed in a 4 person Cabelas Alaska Guide tent for 5 windy days 120 mi N of the Arctic Circle in September. It did great.

Kodiak canvas is a more affordable option, but I'm not sure how late season it can go.

I went with the Cabela's Alaknak II. 12x12 is enough for 4... 12x20 is too big for me...

Elitist, I now have a message in to North Face - should hear back within 2 days. Maybe they have an extra fly in the warehouse.

I ended up with an Alaskan guide tent (8man). Has gone through 2 incredible wind/rain storms this year with just one slightly bent pole connector that still works. I honestly never thought a tent could have made it through. That said if I was to do it over again I would probably try the Kodiak canvas for a couple reasons. Biggest reason is they are supposed to be easily set up with just one person. Other main reason is a guy should be able to sew in (ive seen pics of it done) a small wood stove for a heat source.

In terms of the Nemo I wouldn't want something that needs so many ropes anchored out. There's a lot of places that are too rocky to place that many stakes.

I still thing that Kingdom looks legit, I can see with that design that it wouldn't handle winds as well as a geodestic shaped tent, but if it was really an issue I bet some stiffer poles would solve the problem. You can get custom ones built here: http://tentpoletechnologies.com/?page_id=17

I had them build some for me for an old Walrus 4-season I picked up at a garage sale dirt cheap.

I agree with you on the Nemo, but I'll let you try the REI Kingdom. Too many bad experiences for me to ignore.

Well you're gonna have to way a while for my report, I'm still rockin' a 1980's 6-man my father-in-law gave me. Some brand I've never heard of but so far it's going strong.

Look at the tipis from Kifaru. A little pricey, but looks like they are well worth it. Tipis are by design, really wind resistant. Many sizes available and they come with a stove Jack already installed.

Bluejeep,
I have pondered tipees some. I do not understand how they can cost so much.

They also have some issues with floors, mosquitos, and esp. condensation. I realize all of that can be dealt with, but for a fairly inefficient shape, I'm having a hard time being sold on them. But I continue to consider them.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back