6.8 Western

If I understand your nickname, it might matter that I cannot find a single rifle chambered in 6.8 Western for southpaws. Anyone got better google-fu?

They're throttling 270 WSM production to push us toward 6.8 Western. What'll they do when they want to sell another 6.8mm?

They're throttling 270 WSM production to push us toward 6.8 Western. What'll they do when they want to sell another 6.8mm?
Who was still making 270 WSM ammo when the 6.8W came out?
I legit can't think of the last time.ive seen a new box of 270wsm online or in stores

Who was still making 270 WSM ammo when the 6.8W came out?
I legit can't think of the last time.ive seen a new box of 270wsm online or in stores
270WSM. I've certainly experienced not be able to find what I wanted - Federal Trophy Copper. I haven't seen it offered in years and I'm on the Federal notification list for when it is available. Still, even having moved to copper only, I've found some options. I bought Hornady Outfitter CX when it was first offered. I found Barnes TSX recently. If you aren't limiting your selection to copper, there is some out there right now. In recent months, the offering was mostly Winchester ammo. Not much on local shelves.

My gun shoots the factory Federal and Hornady well and I have enough for my probable hunting use (years). Still, I continue to learn about hand-loading. It is probably the future for 270WSM owners. Brass may become the limiting factor as manufacturers abandon the caliber.

You will find some selection with these three tools (there are others)...

Browning still offers an X-Bolt 270WSM 'LH' (one model only - no 6.8 Western in LH)...
browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/x-bolt/x-bolt-hunter-left-hand.html

Last edited:
Ron Spomer has shared some info that 270WSM ammo production (manufacturers) ran into legal/patent infringement issues that impacted their bottom lines. It was inferred that the same issue caused rifle manufactures to move away from 270WSM offerings too. I'm no expert or authority. I'm just passing along what I've heard.

I'll probably keep mine, as I've had it for a while and like it for what I'd likely use it for (Western Elk, if I ever draw a tag, or maybe an Alaskan hunt, i.e., Elk, Bear, Caribou, etc.).

Last edited:
I wish it would take off, I’m a big .277 cal fan
Since I own a 270WSM, I probably won't be in the market for one. However, I've sort of followed the 6.8 Western from soon after its introduction. Winchester and Browning are the only ammo manufacturers of 6.8 Western ammo that I'm aware of. They both market rifles (Browning: not LH, though they did initially). IIRC, Christiansen offers/offered a 6.8 Western rifle.

No other major manufacturer (rifle or factory ammo) has supported the caliber. Demand won't build without something changing, IMAO...

I have a 6.8. It likes the 165 gr Accubond LR hand loads. If I were to shoot factory it would be the 162 copper impact. Gun just shoots those loads great.

Browning Hells canyon SR. Ovix camo. Shot a nice bull elk this year at 200 yds. High shoulder. Ran maybe 25 yds.

I love mine. Short rifle. With a suppressor is super awesome.

The long and short of it is that it is pretty much dead as far as viability goes. The round does nothing others in it's neighborhood don't do equally as well (especially with the introduction of 7PRC) and since there is really only one ammo manufacturer (Winchester/Olin makes all Browning ammo) it is all over but the crying at this point. We have not had a single new 6.8 in probably almost a year and I can't remember the last time someone inquired about one.

The long and short of it is that it is pretty much dead as far as viability goes. The round does nothing others in it's neighborhood don't do equally as well (especially with the introduction of 7PRC) and since there is really only one ammo manufacturer (Winchester/Olin makes all Browning ammo) it is all over but the crying at this point. We have not had a single new 6.8 in probably almost a year and I can't remember the last time someone inquired about one.
Yup. I agree with your comments. Between 6.5PRC and 7PRC, new gun buyers have more modern bullet options with better support in terms of factory ammo and guns. There is also little reason for owners of 270WSM, 7mmRemMag, etc. to move to 6.8 Western either.

Even if some manufacturers of both ammo and rifles jump in with new offerings, I don't see much future for 6.8 Western. [EDIT: Interestingly, I just learned that both Seekins and Fierce are now offering guns in 6.8 Western.] The momentum is with other calibers.

If you own one already and are interested in hand-loading, I did find two bullets (TSX & LRX) at Barnes with reloading data:
www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/6.8-Western.pdf

Last edited:
I think the royalty period expired while they were still making plenty of affordable ammo. Winchester and others still produce rifles and ammo but compared to what they're making of the Western it's a trickle.

There are quite a few factory cartridges based on the WSM case, including the Western. You won't be stranded but you may be put out if hand loading isn't already a hobby. I mean you can still get WSSM brass and those rifles are selling at a premium.

Same thing that happened to all the other standard cartridges when 6.5 Manbun and 350 Wants to be a Legend.

BOHICA!!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back