6.5 - Swede or [Redacted - Rhymes with Swede]?

Which 6.5 should I go with?

• 6.5x55 Swede

Votes: 18 58.1%
  • 6.5 [Rhymes with Swede]

Votes: 13 41.9%

• Total voters

BluegrassBilly

I've been glass, stalking, retreating, glassing, stalking, etc., for a while now, but the time has finally come. I have to pick an animal, settle in, and squeeze the trigger.

My quarry is a Sauer 100 Classic in a 6.5, but the only unanswered question is which one. There's not a nickel's worth of difference between the two, I know. I tend to shy away from the shiny new object, but after a decade, it seems like the 6.5 [RwS] is here to stay. But the Swede is the OG 6.5 and certainly isn't going anywhere.

I don't reload, but don't mind ordering loads (the point of this whole exercise is to limit my 300 H&H to class 3 duty). And I'm trying to go lead-free for hunting, but nobody's currently loading the Swede in non-lead. If NoslerCustom even offered 6.5x55 eTips, it'd be an easier choice.

The obvious answer is to buy the [RwS], but can I live with myself if I do? Somebody tell me what to do!

I love the Swede, but maybe that is because it is old and/or it has served me well for so long.

If you change your mind about lead, the heavy for caliber 156 Norma Oryx works very well in the swede and that loaded ammo is available. The 130 Swift scorocca also works well and loaded ammo is available.

A company out of South Africa, opened a plant in Michigan and makes very good copper bullets, but not sure if they also sell loaded ammo. If just the bullets, there are a few companies around that will load them for you. I have a friend in Africa that has used their bullets successfully on a large variety of Africa game.

Bet of luck and enjoy your new rifle, whichever one you choice------but my unbiased opinion is the Swedes is better (-;

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on 6.5s contemplating my next rifle. If your rifle comes in PRC that is going to be a great round that, in time, will have lots of factory ammo. If you want one now that has factory non lead ammo than the 6.5-284 Norma is your ticket. It does everything the Swede does better.

The Creedmoor is a great round for deer under 400 yards with Mono bullets. After that it has lost a lot of the velocity that makes Mono bullets shine.

Just my two cents as a needsmore owner. Take it for what it’s worth.

The Swede has a longer case which should allow it to shoot longer heavier bullets without compacting the powder too much and run into OAL problems. Although I may be off on that. I have always had a love for the Swede and if it were me I'd choose that. But I also reload which might be a limiting factor for you.

If you go with a Swede, make sure that the ammo you buy, is loaded to modern pressures. Much factory stuff is loaded so that it can be shot in older rifles and is pretty anemic. I would go with the Creed, hands down. The factory ammo is readily available, it is easy to load for-if you go that route-and well, it's the Creed! I have killed a lot of deer with my 6.5s-both .260 and Creed, and they are my go-to now, for deer and antelope.

Hard for me to imagine people put so much thought into stuff that simple. To fix the problem I would suggest a frontal lobotomy! Any more is seem's people have the tendicity to over think stuff until it become's a problem for them! Ya want a 6.5x55 and use monolithic bullet's, easy, learn to reload! Problem solved!

I find creedmoor shooters are like SJW, if no one is paying attention to them they start making a fuss lest they slip from the limelight. In fact i found a pic of some creed shooters.

For pete sake, just shoot whatever and stop flogging a dead horse, no one cares what you shoot.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 8
If you aren’t reloading, I don’t know why this is even a discussion. Get a creedmoor and some quality ammo and start putting it to work.

oops sorry about that. I was asked the name of the South Africa/Michigan company----it is GS Custom

The rifle she uses is a Blaser R8 with two barrels ( 6.5 x 55 and 9.3 x 62 )

I remember when this game was played and what they said the results were, but I was not there or part of the test. Their tests indicated that the 264 Win was at the top and the 6.5 Swede at the bottom, ballistically speaking. I did ask for a simple reminder of how they each fared according to their test and was told the win, norma, nosler, rem, and wea were all close but had better ballistics than the Creed, Grendel and Swede, and that those three were also close together. BUT, I have seen others argue for days about how a test was performed, what products were used, etc, etc,----so they may be wrong and that is o.k. with me if you feel they are, just sharing what I was told.

If I was young and wanted the absolute best ( ballistically speaking ) I think I might look for a 264 Win, but even then since shooting past three hundred yards never interested me, I would probably end up with a Swede again.

Best of luck with your new rifle, whatever it may end up being

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back