Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

6.5-300 WBY. For everything?

Fisherkid1

Well..
Im really interested in the 6.5-300 round that Weatherby makes.
I have a .270 wby sportster that wad made in 87 and is way to nice to carry through the woods.
I also have a .340 Wby accumark that is heavy but can be drug around and not worry about wang dingers off trees.
Im kinda looking for something that i can shoot a whitetail with and not look like i called in an airstrike on. But also carry up a mtn and make an effective shot on an elk.

The 6.5 may have that appeal but i could also buy a .240 for antelope and. Use the other 2 as specifics also.

Looking for anyones thoughts on the 6.5-300, i would be getting it ordered as lite as possible for back country hunting. Or the .240.
Or neither.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20190817_110622.jpg
    20190817_110622.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 17
If you're looking at Mark V's I think the .240 is built with the 6-lug action while the 6.5-300 is built with the heavy 9-lug action so there will be a significant weight difference between the two.

Man... maybe this isn’t the answer you’re looking for... and if you wanna buy another Weatherby I’d never hold it against you... but I’d carry that .270. I’ve used my Wby Mark V Deluxe in 7mm Wby mag for years and years. Good rifles, even the good-looking ones, were meant to be used. Hard to top a Weatherby 270

Reactions: Guy
Your nice 270 Wby is just fine for hunting.

It's okay for hunting rifles to get a ding now and again. They're hunting rifles. Stick with what you've got, and hunt. :)

If you don't need the long-range, flat trajectory of the Weatherby cartridges, consider something a bit more mellow, and perhaps more compact...

Regards, Guy

Plan on a short barrel life if you decide to go with the 6.5x300. I think it’ll do just fine

I went through the same and decided on the 6.5 PRC. It’s a lot cheaper to shoot than the Weatherby and falls between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5-300 on the trajectory scale.

It's the slightly bigger brother (or sister) of the .257....do it, it's no plinker and will last plenty long keeping that in mind.

It's the slightly bigger brother (or sister) of the .257....do it, it's no plinker and will last plenty long keeping that in mind.

My old man has a .257 Mark V. Its a really good gun but they stopped making the 117 grain he used to shoot so hes been bitter about it for a few years lol

I went through the same and decided on the 6.5 PRC. It’s a lot cheaper to shoot than the Weatherby and falls between the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5-300 on the trajectory scale.

Yep! Now they have that funny 6.5rpm thats just like a PRC.
I like the big Mag in case i have to make a quartering to or away on a big bull or something. The rpm vs -300 is only a pound difference in their back country gun.
So many options!

There is no animal in North America a 6.5-300 WBY will not crush. But the same can be said for the 270 WBY. Look what the lowly 270 Win can do:

513F2384-583E-4665-9950-3449E49DCC5C.jpeg

If you want a new rifle, go for it, but you have all you need now for sure. If it were me and I wanted a new rifle and like Weatherbys, I’d get another .270 WBY in a Ultralight or one of the other more “all weather” models.

Roy killed Cape buffalo with the 257...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back