PEAX Equipment

5x - 25x scope

A207X2

I didn't want to hijack the Perfect Magnification thread so will ask my question here.

I currently have a 4x-12x scope on my 30-06. I have pre-ordered a .300 Win Mag, and am looking to go out to CO next year on my first (and perhaps only) elk hunt. I am looking at putting a 5x-25x scope on it. I have never had one - or needed one - of that magnification, as all my shooting has been < 150 yards. I don't know what I'll encounter next year, but I know I'm most likely only going to get one opportunity. I'm taking "enough rifle" for the trip, and I'd also like to make sure I'm taking "enough glass" as well.

For the moment I'd like to set aside the discussion of brands; I know that some manufacturers are far superior than others. I'd prefer to concentrate first on the best magnification, then I'll choose the brand. While I won't say "money is no object", in the end I'm going to buy what is going to be the best scope for my needs. This is a bucket list trip.

For my elk rifles I really like scopes in the 3-15 and 3-18 range. I don't feel that I need more magnification, even with a 300 Win Mag, which is my favorite elk cartridge.

I like quite a bit of magnification with my less than stellar eyesight, but your 4-12 is enough. Some of my hunting scopes are 4-16 and 3-18. I also have one that goes to 24x, that rifle sees quite a bit of long-range steel ringing at the rage as well. If you really don't see yourself getting into steel/paper at the range often, I'd recommend something in the 12 to 18 range for the top end.

Nothin wrong with some magnification, as long as you got some play on the lower end. I shot my elk this year at 48 yard with a 4.5-30 scope. Just keep it on the lowest magnification that you need. My March 2.5-25x52 scope is my favorite scope, has everything covered from close range to really dialing it out there. You will never worry about having too much or not enough magnification with that scope.

Your 4-12 would do just fine!
If you want more magnification on the top end, a 3-15, 4-16 would be better than the low magnification of 5X.

Not all western hunting is done at 600+ yards.
Or so i've heard.... :whistle:

I am far from being good enough of a shooter to take advantage of 25X magnification in a rifle scope and thus wouldn't choose one. YMMV...

For me mechanical reliability is more important than glass quality or magnification...

I regularly shoot long range and have taken quite a few animals that were way out there. that being said, most times after the shot, I realize I only had my scope on around 10X. 25X is nice for punching paper and being able to see your holes in targets but not necessary for shooting 5-600 yards IMO. Also, follow up shots when your scope is on 25X are a pain. I started with 20-25X scopes on my rifles but I have been slowly swapping them for 14-18X scopes. a 3-18 seems to be right in the sweet spot.

I think there is so much recoil and jump from a .300 WM that a 25x scope would have a hard time getting back on the animal for a followup.

I myself just upped my upper magnification from 7x to 10x and the wobble of that in hunting situations is a lot to deal with.

If i was to get into long distance TARGET shooting, I'd probably follow the example of the top shooters and use a smaller cartridge with less recoil and excellent ballistics. Then you can use all the optic up to 25x

Precision work requires excellent tracking, along with glass quality, and high magnification.
I regularly shoot matches where 1/100th of an inch is difference of winning or placing. Or losing.
Different world than hunting.
Sightron SIII 10-50X60 sitting on my wife's Savage 110FP. Choate Ultimate Varminter stock.
As seen rifle weighs 14lbs.

If you can't see it, you can't hit it! Lol

Attachments

• 1024201100_copy_1920x1080.jpg
    1024201100_copy_1920x1080.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 0315201009_copy_600x1067.jpg
    0315201009_copy_600x1067.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 13
I have a 4.5-14 on my 22-250 and hardly ever turn it over 9x. I have shot foxes at 300 yards on 5x. All my other rifles have 3-9 on them

If you want a 24x and don't want to spend a fortune, check out the Vortex Diamondback tactial 6-24 x 50

I live out west and my elk rifle was a 30-06 with a 2 3/4x fixed scope on it. Always worked well. Have also used a 6.5x06 on elk a few time's and used a 3-9x scope on it. I think most people get carried away with power in a scope seem's like everyone see's them selves as needing to make a 400yd shot. Well for sighting in my 30-06 with the 2 3/4x scope, I use a diamond shape aiming point that is about 2" x 2" between point's at 100 yds; I make my own target's. I simply don't shoot at big game at over about 300 yds. My 30-06 allows that without having to hold over the animal. An elk gives you a huge target even at 300 yds, not that much magnification really required for even beyond 300yds! I have shot target's of opportunity out past 300 yds with that 30-06 and that same 2 3/4x scope with no problem. Take an 8 1/2x11 sheet of paper and pin it up at a distance you normally shoot and use it as an aiming point. I suspect your one inch group will grow and for no other reason then there is a large aiming point. Do the same thing with a much lower power scope and the aiming point get's smaller and is easier to hold on. I know that when shooting off bags from a table at 100 yds my group's are always much better on lower power's that don't blot out the aiming point and don't show my heart beat so much looking through the scope.

Then there is the size of the scope itself. I have a 4 1/2-14x on a varmint rifle and would not consider it on a big game rifle, to big and actually awkward. My favorite scope's for big game have actually become 2-7x as they are a lot easier to find than my fixed 2 3/4x scopes. The 2-7x is a bit smaller than all of my 3-9x scopes and a lot smaller than my 4 1/2-14x. Just easier to carry. Then too, I carry my 3-9x and my 2-7x scopes set on the lowest power all the time. In fact about the only time I use a higher power is sighting in and then never above 6x, hate watching my heart beat through a scope, distracts me. I do have a 1-4x scope on a 308 win and I sight in at 4x and hunt it at about 2 1/2x Reason being at 1x I can see most of the barrel of the rifle in the scope. Again, distracting.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back