55 gallon drums or holes

Excaliber

I see some of you guys use 55 Gallon drums and some of you dig holes and pile up would as a cradle on your bait sites.
I've never baited bears before and was just wondering which of the two methods works better.
It seems like once the bears found the hole they would clean it out quickly.

I was just curious what you guys have to say.

We do both. There was a Few spots we hunted that the bears would come in at night, Open the Pits and the Blackbirds came in and ate more food then the Bears did. In those places we definately used drums. Some of the other places we hunt we don't use them and don't have any problems.

Alot depends on your "theory". Some say to let the Bears eat only a Little at a Time and have them weork REAL hard at getting stuff. That keeps them around and you have a better chance at them. Others say that it makes them mad and they go elsewere and don't hit it consistantly. Especially if you have several other baiters around.. (Which is usually common).

I don't know much about hunting but I do consider myself a Master Baiter.

I've used both ways and both seem to work as well as the other. now I use a hollow log. As for eating all the food, I dont care what method you use, a sow and cubs will clean it out in a heartbeat IMO. I usually put out about 3 lbs a day. seems to work for us.

Whatever Texas boy !!!! :D :D

The difference is we bait in the Wild were they have room to move. You guys Bait in a 12x12 pen.....`

Papa Moose said:
Whatever Texas boy !!!! :D :D

The difference is we bait in the Wild were they have room to move. You guys Bait in a 12x12 pen.....`

You guys are my heroes.:rolleyes::D

I think this is a situational question. If you can do it, a combination of both is the best way to go, if it is possible in your area. If I am having to backpack bait a pit is really the only option. Make sure you cover it with as heavy as logs as you can get. If I can use a four wheeler to get within a few hundred yards of my site, I use a fifty five gallon drum and pit. My logic is that I put out as much bait as I possibly can. The more food you have the longer the bears will stay and continue coming to the bait. I cut a small hole in the fifty five gallon drum and fill that with a three way feed blend. It is hard for the bears to put much of a dent in that as they have to paw it out a little at a time. Also birds and other small mammals can't really get to it. With the pit, cover it with as heavy logs as you can. Put small branches on top this will keep the scavenger birds and mammals from getting in between the large logs.

The funniest thing I saw was a couple of years ago we were using a drum and I guess we cut the hole to small. anyways this bear stuck his head in it and couldnt get it out. we use ratchet straps to tie it to trees. last we saw of him he was running around blind with the bbl on his melon. we never did find the bbl. now we cut the holes a little bigger when we use drums.

when we bait, we watch it from a mile away on a "spotting"hill. when we see a bear then we gotta stalk it. kinda a mix of baiting/stalk type of hunting.

A different year we hung an old moose head from a tree as a kind of scent. 1 bear loved it he would grab hold and just swing around the tree, his feet were about 2 feet of the ground. he never did get that old rotton moose head.

I use a 30 gallon drum with a decent size whole cut in about 8 to 10 inches from the top of the drum on the side. With strap it so high so i can use the bottom of the drum to help field judge the bears. I had a bait that had 20 plus bears coming in no shit. I was getting ate out of house and home. The sow with 3 cubs was a factor but that was insane. So I had to switch from the pit drum method to the above mentioned. It works great because they have to reach into the barrel and paw out the bait. Plus the cubs are too small to get to it. But what ends up happening is mom paws it out onto the ground so they can eat. I'm still looking for a partner around here but can't believe there is anyone dedicated enough.

Barrles are a good place to put the bears beer on :

5_6.jpg

Moosie,
Is that bread all over the ground in front of that barrel? Were they digging it out looking for something sweeter?
Looks like they like your beer.

No, It's not real bread, Real bread is expensive. I buy Plasitic bread and pour yeast on it to make it smell like bread. Then, it's pulled out by the bears in search for the real bread that I stick underneath. By the time they get to the Real bread they are worn out and usually leave it alone and drink a beer and take a nap. At that point I sneak in and Kill um. :) Well, Either that or it is real bread We poured out around the Barrels becasue we brought in more then it could hold ;)

They actualyl like donuts. They eat the bread but usually move it to get to the donuts. We also use Meat, Leftover house stuff, etc. Sometimes they move food to the side to get to other food. One year we're gonigto have 5-6 different piles to see exactly what they like the best. Although, like humans, We've noticed that different bears like different stuff, but in general they eat whatever we put out. Well, Except for Jalipino's. They don't like those. Yes, we do know that for a fact :D

I would have to agree with Hondo above. I've used a 55 gallon drum in the past but have placed my bait sight further in the forest each year. Now I just dig a hole. I got tired of lugging the drum with chain attachment into the forest and have it bang agaisnt my shins and knees for .75 mile. Then after the season having to drag it out again. I dont even cover it up. I found that its just more time consuming. I also believe in loading the site to capacity each time. 2-3 bags of dog food, cookies from the day old store, table scraps, #25 bag of Winco carrots(they love them plus they are no more expensive than bag dog food). It usually takes 2 trips from the truck each time. Dont know about jalapenos, they don't seem to care for potatos.

I use a game cart to haul the barrel into the woods, and then use the cart to haul the loads of bait too. I've foun't that carts make pack'n alot easier.

You fags need to stop digging holes and piling up garbage in the forest. Take the training wheels off the bikes. :D

No, from what I hear; that would be pack it in, push it out, UNLESS YOU have personal experience to show otherwise. :D

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneGriz
Back