Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

4th Quarter

cwitherow

Having only 2 and a half days to hunt, there is always pressure to get it done. My deer camp has a family history here dating back to the 50's. Sitting around the table listening to stories of the "old days" when deer were scarce, and they were lucky to get one for the group. Hearing these stories has really shaped my perception of the word "trophy", and to never pass up a shot at a buck, regardless of size. For several years in a row, I have either taken my deer on my last day, or at last light on day two. Not seeing anything but one doe after sitting in my stand for two full days, I was disheartened walking into my stand Monday morning (which happened to also be my birthday). I needed to leave the woods by 10:30 to pack up and head home. It was raining pretty hard, and at 8:20 I see a deer coming through the brush. I look through my binoculars and saw enough antler to know it was a buck. I got my rifle and waited for a clear shot as he made his way behind some trees. at 8:24, he was down. I have Being able to take a deer out of the stand my grandpa hunted from for many years means more to me than any number of points.

I have earned the nickname "4th Quarter".

thumbnail_image1.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back